Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 AM

Hey Everyone!!!! I just finished the quilt and used the spray basting.....it was WONDERFUL!!! I had no problem what so ever. The only thing I would do different is to spray only half of the fabric then smooth that out & then do the other half. I had no puckers and I used no pins!!!!! I am a beliver and will probably never use pins again. Also there was no oder, I used the June Tailor brand from JoAnns.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:09 AM

Three Questions .... (1) Do you spray on the fabric or the batting? (2) Where do you spray (on the floor, outside, design wall, table)? (3) How do you handle the issues with the overspray (it leaves a sticky residue everywhere)?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 AM

What website do you get the 505 spray and fix on? The one I found is 12.95 per can or a larger can for more. I'm pretty cheap but I want to use what works best so if there is something online cheaper, a web site for that would be great.
I have been using the fusible batting and it is hit or miss as to whether if adheres, sometimes it is great especially for my smaller projects but sometimes it just doesn't work very well.
I kind of feel like I am cheating by using it and that I am not a true quilter, but it sure makes things easier and I'm all for easy if I can get it right
Old 07-31-2010, 10:59 AM

My trick is to spray baste and then walk on the quilt being sure to cover every square inch for several times around...in sock feet, of course! Then I usually don't get around to doing the quilting for a couple of days or more---not sure if that makes a difference or not! I've never needed pins or to spray baste any more after doing this.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Inny
Three Questions .... (1) Do you spray on the fabric or the batting? (2) Where do you spray (on the floor, outside, design wall, table)? (3) How do you handle the issues with the overspray (it leaves a sticky residue everywhere)?
I spray the batting, put the backing on top, walk on it for a few minutes (with sock feet) to adhere it well, turn it over, spray the batting again and then put the top on...and walk on it for a few minutes. I have done this on my tile kitchen floor (Swiffered off the overspray), on a hardwood floor (damp mopped the overspray I think...this was many moons ago!) and on a big tarp on the driveway (hosed it off really well and let it air dry). The tarp on the driveway was the easiest since it was king sized and on the driveway, I could walk around it on all four sides. Now I usually make baby quilts and I use a tarp or king sized sheet spread on the living room floor with the furniture pushed back....then throw the sheet in the washer to get rid of the overspray. Basting is my least favorite part of the entire craft so I do it as easily and quickly as possible!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jfowles
What website do you get the 505 spray and fix on? The one I found is 12.95 per can or a larger can for more. I'm pretty cheap but I want to use what works best so if there is something online cheaper, a web site for that would be great.
I have been using the fusible batting and it is hit or miss as to whether if adheres, sometimes it is great especially for my smaller projects but sometimes it just doesn't work very well.
I kind of feel like I am cheating by using it and that I am not a true quilter, but it sure makes things easier and I'm all for easy if I can get it right
I found the 505 spray at Sewforless.com. I bought a case of 12 for $153 because they had free shipping if you bought $149 worth. That was for the 17oz cans, which I think retail for about $24, so it was a great deal. Otherwise it is about $13.50 plus shipping.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:46 PM

I use the 505 spray and then, just to be sure, I hand baste all around the outside edges of the sandwich, and I leave that hand basting in until the sandwich has been sufficiently quilted so that it is perfectly secure.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Dee

Spray basting is the best. It never works for me with the pin method.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

I like the spray basting. someone on the board said hairspray works great too. God bless.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:09 PM

How do you get the spay basting off the counter, I did use it the other day and got some on my counter, I tried alcohol
and a scrubbie,nothing! yuk,still there on my counter and sticky! So far not a fan of it!