Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spray Basting >
  • Spray Basting

• Spray Basting

Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 AM

LOL...my quilts are not good enough for museums and I hope my kids use the quilts and wash them often. If they get worn...I will make them another...hopefully I have many years of quilting ahead of me and only two grown boys so they will be getting quite a few quilts from me...
    Originally Posted by Laura22
    I mostly pin baste, but I love that I can spray baste in situations where a bit of a hurry is needed. Of course, I want people to cuddle my quilts. I want them to get washed over and over and snuggled around tiny babies. I don't want them to sit in a museum or still be perfectly preserved generations from now ;)
    Old 01-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by girlsfour
    After reading all I have about spray basting. I am going try it! Thanks.
    You go girl!!!! Anything to speed up the process is all for me. Petroleum based or not!!!!
    Old 01-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    This is a rather old article, but would you believe it is the only published on this subject. The results were published in Quilter's newsletter magazine in 2005!

http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/article...44-01-003.html

Here is a quick run down on their conclusion!

"Fusible battings appear to be an acceptable commercial adhesive-containing product for quilts intended as heirlooms or for sale to collectors or museums.

"All the quilt-basting sprays, except Spray and Fix (505 - Lisa~), were associated with significant yellowing or strength losses following both shorter and longer periods of heat-aging and light exposure.

"Fusible webs, while acceptable for quilts intended to last for a lifetime, could not be recommended for quilts intended to be handed down from generation to generation or for studio art quilts intended for sale to serious collectors or museums."

There is one other note to consider. Have your read the ingredients on the can? DId you know they are not required to list ALL of the ingredients? Several of them contain cancer agents. Hence the ORMD label!
    I read this article when it came out, but it did not convince me to not use spray basting. The whole point is what do you expect to happen to your quilts. Mine have been made to be used and enjoyed. If they make it through the life of the first recipient, they will have done their job. If it is a child's quilt, it might only need to last a few years. I suspect this fits the majority of the quilting that we do--Because their are some purists, like yourself, the rest of us can be assured the "art" of quilting will last for many generations to come, because your quilts will be at the Quilt Museum and mine will be in a dog box someplace. (grin) And that will be just fine--isn't it wonderful that we can all do our own thing in this craft and it is "OK".
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by moreland
    Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    This is a rather old article, but would you believe it is the only published on this subject. The results were published in Quilter's newsletter magazine in 2005!

http://aic.stanford.edu/jaic/article...44-01-003.html

Here is a quick run down on their conclusion!

"Fusible battings appear to be an acceptable commercial adhesive-containing product for quilts intended as heirlooms or for sale to collectors or museums.

"All the quilt-basting sprays, except Spray and Fix (505 - Lisa~), were associated with significant yellowing or strength losses following both shorter and longer periods of heat-aging and light exposure.

"Fusible webs, while acceptable for quilts intended to last for a lifetime, could not be recommended for quilts intended to be handed down from generation to generation or for studio art quilts intended for sale to serious collectors or museums."

There is one other note to consider. Have your read the ingredients on the can? DId you know they are not required to list ALL of the ingredients? Several of them contain cancer agents. Hence the ORMD label!
    I read this article when it came out, but it did not convince me to not use spray basting. The whole point is what do you expect to happen to your quilts. Mine have been made to be used and enjoyed. If they make it through the life of the first recipient, they will have done their job. If it is a child's quilt, it might only need to last a few years. I suspect this fits the majority of the quilting that we do--Because their are some purists, like yourself, the rest of us can be assured the "art" of quilting will last for many generations to come, because your quilts will be at the Quilt Museum and mine will be in a dog box someplace. (grin) And that will be just fine--isn't it wonderful that we can all do our own thing in this craft and it is "OK".
    Oh Rachel, You are my kind of lady. Why can't we just do our thing and leave us alone. I will never have a quilt in a museum, but, my family cherishing them as if they were. Have a wonderful day, I will!!
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 AM

I'm going to try it....a quilting teacher I had swore by it. She covered a wall with papers I think and pinned the backing then sprayed and layered batting and top. She said it was very easy smoothing the wrinkles out.
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 AM

I use the spray all the time but I lay a large old sheet on the floor to catch the over spray. I make baby quilts and they get washed a ton so I don't think the spray stays in very long.
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:43 AM

I love spray basting but be careful which one you use - June Taylor or the one in the pink can work best. Light spray is all you need
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Brenda
    When I spray baste I hang the top and backing on the
    clothesline to spray. This takes care of residue on the
    floors and carpeting, and ventilation too.
    Brenda from Wadesville, In
    I love this idea and will definitely try it next time I'm ready to baste a quilt. I also like using the spray baste.
    Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Sure a lot easier on the old body, isn't it?!
    Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 AM

There are a bunch of comments about not worrying about using spray basting because one doesn't expect one's quilt to end up in a museum. There are other reasons not to use it, though. Some people (myself included) try to minimize our exposure to unnecessary chemicals, usually for either health or environmental reasons, or both. That's why, even though it's much easier, I won't use it. I don't consider myself a quilting purist - not at all - I just don't like using unnecessary chemicals. Oh, and I'm a chemist.