Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
spray starch >

spray starch

spray starch

Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 AM

somewhere while perusing posts, i remember seeing that some of you use spray starch- maybe on the backing- when sandwiching & pinning your quilt. i am a self-taught quilter- had never seen this advice before. when do ya'll use spray starch?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:24 AM

I starch my fabrics before cutting and piecing. It helps keep the fabric stable, especially if you have any pieces with bias cuts.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:25 AM

I starch everything all the time. It makes my cuts better. It holds two pieces of cloth together and helps layer cuts. It seems to prevent puckering on my backings when I quilt.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

i use spray starch when cutting/piecing fabrics that need a little more than just a spritz of water. or when i want it to be nice and 'crisp' for precise cutting
Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 AM

I used to use spray starch ... ALOT buying 6 cans at a time. Now I used the liquid concentrate and immerse my fabric, its much cheaper and I can adjust the amount. Immersing gives a more even application of starch. I mix my own "spray" from the concentrate and keep it on my ironing board for those quick needs. I will admit I rarely sew anything that is not starched. Once you use it ... you will not want to be without it.
Starch is making a good quilter even better!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:35 AM

I spray starch my entire piece of fabric before folding to cut. ☺
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 AM

Inquiring minds want to know, Where do you buy the concentrate starch and what is the best brand?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
Inquiring minds want to know, Where do you buy the concentrate starch and what is the best brand?
You can make your own with cornstarch--google for the recipe--or StaFlo (I think it's called) at Walmart in the laundry aisle. An expensive alternative is Mary Ellen's Best Press that you can get on the internet, lots of quilt shops and possibly Joann's. I just buy spray starch in the cans from Walmart or the grocery store. I'm lazy. I like the idea of soaking the fabric in it so I might break down and buy one of the big jugs to try that method.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 AM

I watched Sharon Schamber You Tube videos a couple of days ago about putting binding on a quilt. She used spray starch quite extensively even in that so I'm going to try it in my next binding. Learn something new from this board all the time.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 AM

I prefer the Sta-flo liquid. You can adjust how soft or firm you want the fabric. I mostly use 1:1 ratio. I put it in a spray bottle and spray the fabric as I go. Some people get upset because it can flake BUT the flakes brush away and when you wash the quilt the starch is removed in the wash.

I especially like to starch the quilt top and back before loading on the longarm. They load easier and straighter and the quilting goes along without a hitch.