Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Starching >

Spray Starching

Spray Starching

Old 04-29-2015, 04:09 PM

Default Spray Starching

I've been spray starching (Best Press and a small push-top spray bottle) a bunch of fat quarters today. I'm going to be sewing a huge number of 2-inch squares. Anyway, my hand is now killing me. Is there an easier way to do this? I don't want to out and out soak them in the starch, so, as of now, spraying seems like the only way I can apply a measured amount on any one piece. I was fantasizing about an air-brush system you plug in and just press one button and then direct it where you want the spray to go. Then all of you came into mind. Do any of you have a more comfortable way to do this?

Alice
Old 04-29-2015, 04:50 PM

I used Best Press for the first time today. (OK, I'm convinced. It really is a great spray.) I'm using the original spray bottle it came in, and I find it uncomfortable to use. I plan to transfer it to a different spray bottle with a better trigger. Would that help you, too? I would think a push-top spray bottle would be tiring to use. I find them hard to hold onto and spray at the same time.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

What about one of those very small garden sprayers that you pump the top and then just hold down the sprayer. I'm thinking the ones that hold about a quart? What do y'all think?
Old 04-29-2015, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

I have a brand I got at Walmart, their brand. it has a better spray top, like a garden hose. it's easy to spry and it's not aerosol, so I don't have to worry about the top breaking off or my finger getting sore. it's also cheap and works great and smell good too. It's so much easier on the hand. see if you can get that, and it has a screw off top if you want to put best press in it. good luck.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

I refuse to use anything that is so hard on my hands (after recovering from carpal tunnel syndrome)! I was going to mention the small garden sprayer but I see Stitchnripper beat me to it. lynnie, will have to look for that brand at Walmart; didn't know there was one like that.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:35 PM

I have found the Best Press hard to spray also. I just thought it was my arthritic hands.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 PM

I thought Best Press was just a wrinkle releaser. Didn't realize it was starch. I agree the trigger is hard on the hands, but I have no suggestion on a better choice.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 PM

I don't use Best Press so can't really address that specific issue. I use Sta-Flo liquid mixed about 50/50 with water. I use a $1.00 trigger-style sprayer and I don't find it painful or fatiguing at all.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 PM

I'm with NJ Quilter, I don't use Best Press, although I did try the "homemade Best Press" and I'll keep with my starch, I like the stiffness better and it goes a LOT farther than the "homemade Best Press".
Old 04-29-2015, 08:23 PM

Have you thought of soaking a towel or dish towel in starch and wrapping it around several fabric pieces until they absorb it? I have done this before with fat quarters when I couldn't get a spray bottle to work well. Less over-spray too.