Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Square block pattern

I have seen a few quilts online that have the following block but I cannot find a pattern. It looks like a very simple pattern, which would be good for me as I am a beginner

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a pattern.
    The block consists of a square that is surrounded by rectangles on all four sides.

I am saving up some fat quarters to make a quilt with this pattern.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Go check out www.quilterscache.com I am sure that you will find what your looking for there. They have a ton of free patterns and pictures. Good Luck.

Do you mean, square in a square?

It sounds like a block called "square in a square" if I'm understanding your description. If you can find a beginning quilt book it will be of help to get you started. Good luck & welcome to the quilting world.

Thank you ladies I will go do some searching, now that I have an idea.

is it the tortilla pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    Go check out www.quilterscache.com I am sure that you will find what your looking for there. They have a ton of free patterns and pictures. Good Luck.
    Deanna I checked this site out and found squares within squares 2 which is very similar but instead of the two small suares on the left and right they are oblongs. Any ideas?

I don't think its a square within a square, as the blocks I have seen for this dont have the middle square at an angle.

I will keep looking but if anyone knows what I am talking about, that would be great ;-)

I can't find the tortilla pattern to check it out, google comes up with recipes for food!! LOL

Is it either one of these or similar?

Four Square
    Name:  Attachment-165833.jpe
Views: 119
Size:  11.7 KB

Square in Square
    Name:  Attachment-165834.jpe
Views: 120
Size:  10.2 KB

Look under 9 patch. It sounds like an uneven 9 patch to me. Can't remember the exact name.

I love the square in a square pattern

www.epatternscentral.com has cheap and easy patterns too. Quilterscache.com has free blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Yes!!!
    Beverly, thats the one, its the square in a square that you posted, funny when I look online its more of a diamond in the centre. Any idea where I can find a pattern for this?

Quote Originally Posted by ukmuminusa
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Yes!!!
    Beverly, thats the one, its the square in a square that you posted, funny when I look online its more of a diamond in the centre. Any idea where I can find a pattern for this?
    Try looking at the ten minute block, I think it may be what you are looking for. Good luck :-D

QM
    It is a simple 9 patch, made from 9 squares of the same size. Many times, but certainly not always, the corners and center are one color and the others another. This is the first block I did and presents few hazards for a newby.

Make 3 rows and press them. When you sew them together, be sure to pin and sew so that the seam allowance on top reaches the needle before the previous seam does. This way, the patches will be locked into the right position. If you do it the other way, they will tend to be pushed apart, so that your seams won't line up. If that is not clear, I can make photos for you.

Quote Originally Posted by QM
    It is a simple 9 patch, made from 9 squares of the same size. Many times, but certainly not always, the corners and center are one color and the others another. This is the first block I did and presents few hazards for a newby.

Make 3 rows and press them. When you sew them together, be sure to pin and sew so that the seam allowance on top reaches the needle before the previous seam does. This way, the patches will be locked into the right position. If you do it the other way, they will tend to be pushed apart, so that your seams won't line up. If that is not clear, I can make photos for you.
    QM, the block I am thinking about is the exactly like the one that Beverly posted.
    The one your describe above sounds interesting and would be great for another day, there is just too many blocks to sew in a lifetime, no wonder this hobby is adicting LOL

Thanks for your help though

I think I found a quilt with a similar block to what I was thinking of on Elizabeth Hartmans blog

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...ilt-along.html

have fun

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    have fun
    Thanks Nancy, I will, I just started my 1st quilt, its not finished yet and here I am already designing the next.

QM
    ukmuminusa, I am glad that you found what you wanted.

Try looking at www.maryquilts.com she has a block called 'Boxed squares' using a jelly roll. I'm just doing it! Goes together really quickly! Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Try looking at www.maryquilts.com she has a block called 'Boxed squares' using a jelly roll. I'm just doing it! Goes together really quickly! Have fun!!
    Thanks for the link, I love that block too, now to decide which to do!! What colour scheme are you doing yours in?

Quote Originally Posted by ukmuminusa
    Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Thanks for the link, I love that block too, now to decide which to do!! What colour scheme are you doing yours in?
    I don't know if it has a name. I just made a simple block based on your description with Quilt Pro. Tell me what size you want the finished block to be and I'll have Quilt Pro make out the instructions.

The one I posted is a 4 inch center square (cut 4.5) with 2 2 x 4 (2.5 x 4.5) rectangles on the top and 2 2 x 8 (2.5 x 8.5) rectangles on the sides for an 8" finished size block. It is easy to adjust up or down for sizes divisible by 4.

Bright Hopes is a very similar looking block but it has partial seams. Mine is an EZ version of it.

Blog Entries
    square in a square had triangles added. not rectangles.
    should be a simple block though.

Here is a chart showing it at 8" with a single border and another at 12" with a double border. It's much like Courthouse Steps with a large center if you want to search for courthouse steps patterns and see how they play with the light/dark in them.

Square in Square 8 inch
    Name:  Attachment-166326.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  34.6 KB

Double Square in Square 12 inch
    Name:  Attachment-166327.jpe
Views: 24
Size:  46.3 KB

Beverly, Thank you very much that is great.