Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square corners >

Square corners

Square corners

Old 11-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I line up with the border width and trim. If no border is used I line up with the block edges, which are straight.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:04 PM

I square up before quilting. Then I let my nice binding corners give the illusion of being squared up .
Old 11-23-2019, 03:33 AM

I do mine pretty much like everyone here--after quilted, square ruler in the corner, 2.25" binding, etc but I do not press the binding. My thinking is that it isn't going to turn equally as it rolls over the edge of the quilt sandwich. I do not pin or secure the binding before stitching. Instead I fold it over as I go and can hold it in place with my left hand (I'm right handed). I don't like the extra "stuff" being in my way and one more thing to be sure I've removed when the binding is finished.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I lay out my quilted quilt and draw with Taylor’s chalk a straight line , squaring corners and straightening all 4 edges. Then I place my binding along the straight lines and stitch it on. Next I trim a 3/8” wide seam allowance and finish my binding. This process works for me. Many Quilters have tried many different suggested techniques- then use the one that works best for them.
This is mostly how I do it. I trim enough of the batt and back so that it won't be in the way. Sew the binding onto the quilt top at 1/4 inch to avoid chopping off points. Then I measure from the seam line that I have just sewn and trim at 3/8 inch.

I sew onto the front, then iron that seam open very well, fold the binding to the back and stitch in the ditch from the front. That's been working very well for me. I only have to pin at the corners.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:37 AM

I square my quilts up after I have quilted them. I use a square up ruler and measure closely so that everything comes up square. Works every time as long as I am making a square or rectangular quilt. Circular quilts are a whole different thing when trying to keep it in correct form.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:33 PM

Thank you, everyone!!