Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square Dance dress now, quilt later. >

Square Dance dress now, quilt later.

Square Dance dress now, quilt later.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM

May I say WoW I love the dress. I also was a square dancer many years ago. My mom made all my dresses and their were many. I loved them all I do not know what ever became of them wish I had them now. What a great Idea to make a quilt from them. Happy quilting Yippie
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM

My mom used to make her own square dance dresses and didn't look anything like yours......it's beautiful..and i agree it looks like it could make a giant christmas tree skirt.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
DON'T CUT UP YOUR DRESS JUST YET! I have been thinking about making a quilted square dance dress for a long time. But the reason for not cutting it up, is, maybe you will get back into square dancing again. Our club has many single dancers. Some have lost their partners, some spouses just don't want to dance or can't, and some are just single. We have five or more women who know the man's part and at least that many who are learning it. We also have at least four guys who have learned the woman's part. When we have lessons, there is one square in the back of men doing women's part and women doing men's part. The have a lot of fun doing that, and it is so much fun watching that, because they get mixed up sometimes. But they are getting better. So if you can't find a partner, go to lessons and learn the man's part. Or find another woman to dance with. It's all fun.
I agree w/ Mavita. If you love to square dance check out Mavita's suggestions. I love to clog but you don't need a partner all the time. Maybe your could check into clogging. It's great fun.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM

I was a square dancer, too, and made a lot of dresses. But when we quit square dancing I gave them all away. Think of the quilts I could have made! (though none of mine were pieced looking, as this one is)
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM

Oooooh, love it. Show us when you are done, OK.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
DON'T CUT UP YOUR DRESS JUST YET! I have been thinking about making a quilted square dance dress for a long time. But the reason for not cutting it up, is, maybe you will get back into square dancing again. Our club has many single dancers. Some have lost their partners, some spouses just don't want to dance or can't, and some are just single. We have five or more women who know the man's part and at least that many who are learning it. We also have at least four guys who have learned the woman's part. When we have lessons, there is one square in the back of men doing women's part and women doing men's part. The have a lot of fun doing that, and it is so much fun watching that, because they get mixed up sometimes. But they are getting better. So if you can't find a partner, go to lessons and learn the man's part. Or find another woman to dance with. It's all fun.
Another square dancer chiming in: I too have no regular partner, but have been having a ball at Workshop dancing with whomever needs a partner, man or woman. It's fun dancing the man's part, as it's a little more challenging, which I like; I have to keep reminding myself I'm a man, especially on the nights when I end up dancing both parts (in separate tips, I mean).

Even though the dress may not fit you now, it could still be made into a skirt if you decide to return to dancing, or sold or donated to a current dancer; pretty, distinctive designs like this one are always good sellers at our Clothes Closets.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I made this dress many years ago and always loved it. However, now I don't have a partner and probably can't get into it so it is time to make it into a quilt.
great idea
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Love the dress and it will awesome in a quilt.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 PM

After you make it a quilt; I would label it and give the date and reference of being a Sq.Dance Dress with all the extra details....!!!!!!!!! Then enjoy the quilt and memories together.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM

What a great idea!