Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is a square hoop better than a round hoop?

Blog Entries
    I posted a picture of this square frame I made online (fb) the other day and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Is it better or easier to use a square hoop while hand quilting? As many of you know, I am a woodworker - not a quilter, so any feedback on square hoops will help.
    Thanks,
    Harry B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a Grace square hoop, and I don't think it holds the quilt as well as a round hoop. But maybe it's me.

Janet

Blog Entries
    I don't do any hand quilting anymore but that's a beautiful piece of work. Wow!

I've never used a square hoop. I am perfectly happy with my round hoop. Don't see any reason to change. I would not like your square hoop with the base on it. It would be uncomfortable and too high in my lap. And I tilt my hoop when I quilt.

Blog Entries
    Barb,
    The base has 3 adjustable height settings, it tilts and can spin 360 degrees. The top frame also pops off the lower base. I install small magnets that stick to the lazy susan spinner on the base.
    - Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Barb44
    I've never used a square hoop. I am perfectly happy with my round hoop. Don't see any reason to change. I would not like your square hoop with the base on it. It would be uncomfortable and too high in my lap. And I tilt my hoop when I quilt.

Totally drooling. I like the hoop with the sit-upon base. I have one of those for my crewel work and it works perfectly. I like being hands free when I'm working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by madamepurl
    Totally drooling. I like the hoop with the sit-upon base. I have one of those for my crewel work and it works perfectly. I like being hands free when I'm working.

I think I scored with the new square design. I am consistantly selling them now and the feedback has been great. Here is a new picture one of my customers sent in last week.

Thanks for the drooling!
    Harry
    :D :D :D

Good to know. :) I'm thinking on the 14" square with the open bottom - lap sit one.

Blog Entries
    Good to know. :) I'm thinking on the 14" square with the open bottom - lap sit one.
    The picture above is actually one of those - Vented Sit On Frames. You just can't see it since it's under the quilt. The woman who got it - LOVES it. I'm making another in the morning for a customer in Nova Scotia.
    Thanks again,
    Harry

It looks like it would be great, would give a little more room than a round one. I like the stand, too, so I could set it on a table to work hands free! Great!

Harry, I have a lap top hoop made by my LQS owner's son. It's great, but then I just saw your "sit on with spinner" in your post here. My hoop is all over my lap the wrong way usually. So, I went I went to your web site and found that you sell the "sit on with spinner" separately to put on my hoop. So, it will arrive here in Illinois soon I hope. Thank you. You have a great story on your site. Gary

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love the square hoop. I have a square quilting rack and love it. I'm going to look too. Looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing your ideas on this.

I love Harry's hoops! My husband got me one for a gift and I just added the travel version.

Thanks, Harry!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garylester
    Harry, I have a lap top hoop made by my LQS owner's son. It's great, but then I just saw your "sit on with spinner" in your post here. My hoop is all over my lap the wrong way usually. So, I went I went to your web site and found that you sell the "sit on with spinner" separately to put on my hoop. So, it will arrive here in Illinois soon I hope. Thank you. You have a great story on your site. Gary
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for the order and I hope that Conversion Kit works out for you. Email me or post some feedback.

Harry

Blog Entries
    Lynda,

My neighbor calls me Harry Hoop or Hooper since I am always walking around the neighborhood sanding someones order. Thanks for the recommendation.

Harry Hoops!

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    I love Harry's hoops! My husband got me one for a gift and I just added the travel version.

Thanks, Harry!

Be ready Harry. :) I was telling Mom about this hoop I saw on the internet. She is internet free. Anyway, she said order them for us. So I put identical orders in for us tonight. Now if I could just talk her into moving closer so we can quilt together. :)

Blog Entries
    Madamepurl,
    I'll be ready. Keep in mind each frame is built to order. I can't build enough to keep stock on handl. I typically takes two days to finish up the orders. Please send feedback on how these new "square" frames work out. Try doing a border or a full block inside it.
    Thanks,
    Harry B.

Be ready Harry. :) I was telling Mom about this hoop I saw on the internet. She is internet free. Anyway, she said order them for us. So I put identical orders in for us tonight. Now if I could just talk her into moving closer so we can quilt together. :)

I have both shapes from Grace only mine are the floor stands. I keep one upstairs and one down. I long ago taught myself to quilt with both hands so I can go in both directions. I have the larger hoops as I am very speedy and the smaller ones require constant rehooping. When I go to Bee I take a small piece to handquilt and use a PCP frame. I quilt at the Senior Center on a conventional floor frame. I much prefer my home frames.
    Your frames look like excellant workmanship. If I was into the lap style I would purchase one of yours in a mintue.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb1834
    Madamepurl,
    I'll be ready. Keep in mind each frame is built to order. I can't build enough to keep stock on handl. I typically takes two days to finish up the orders. Please send feedback on how these new "square" frames work out. Try doing a border or a full block inside it.
    Thanks,
    Harry B.

No worries about the time at all. I told Mom how beautiful they are and hand crafted. If we crafters/artisans know one thing is it takes time. I have two samplers with borders ready. I'll save those for the hoop and will let you know. Thanks so much! Rose

We got our hoops. Love them! I played with it a little and it's awesome. I'm hoping to get a bigger project going soon and will work it up on the hoop.

Rose

Nice looking hoop!
    All I remember hearing years ago was that a round hoop was better than an oval hoop..something about that an oval hoop could distort the quilting because of the differences in the length/width of quilting area.

I prefer a rectangular Q-snap to a round wooden hoop, but there are a number of reasons. One is that I prefer the lightweight frame with clamps to the double ring that's screwed to tighten it. Another is that I'm only 4'11, and I find it easier to manoeuvre an 11" X 17" Q-snap so that I can get to all bits of it, than I can to reach across a 16" round hoop. And a 14" round hoop starts to get a bit too small to get the tension right and to get enough into it. I vastly prefer square or rectangular frames because they tile neatly across the quilt, whereas with round ones you end up with your hoop partly over a section you've already quilted. Borders work out better as well.