Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Is a square hoop better than a round hoop?

  1. #1
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    I posted a picture of this square frame I made online (fb) the other day and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Is it better or easier to use a square hoop while hand quilting? As many of you know, I am a woodworker - not a quilter, so any feedback on square hoops will help.
    Thanks,
    Harry B.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Senior Member Hinterland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    943
    I have a Grace square hoop, and I don't think it holds the quilt as well as a round hoop. But maybe it's me.

    Janet

  3. #3
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    I don't do any hand quilting anymore but that's a beautiful piece of work. Wow!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    696
    I've never used a square hoop. I am perfectly happy with my round hoop. Don't see any reason to change. I would not like your square hoop with the base on it. It would be uncomfortable and too high in my lap. And I tilt my hoop when I quilt.

  5. #5
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Barb,
    The base has 3 adjustable height settings, it tilts and can spin 360 degrees. The top frame also pops off the lower base. I install small magnets that stick to the lazy susan spinner on the base.
    - Harry

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb44
    I've never used a square hoop. I am perfectly happy with my round hoop. Don't see any reason to change. I would not like your square hoop with the base on it. It would be uncomfortable and too high in my lap. And I tilt my hoop when I quilt.

  6. #6
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Totally drooling. I like the hoop with the sit-upon base. I have one of those for my crewel work and it works perfectly. I like being hands free when I'm working.

  7. #7
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by madamepurl
    Totally drooling. I like the hoop with the sit-upon base. I have one of those for my crewel work and it works perfectly. I like being hands free when I'm working.

    I think I scored with the new square design. I am consistantly selling them now and the feedback has been great. Here is a new picture one of my customers sent in last week.

    Thanks for the drooling!
    Harry
    :D :D :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Good to know. :) I'm thinking on the 14" square with the open bottom - lap sit one.

  9. #9
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by madamepurl
    Good to know. :) I'm thinking on the 14" square with the open bottom - lap sit one.
    The picture above is actually one of those - Vented Sit On Frames. You just can't see it since it's under the quilt. The woman who got it - LOVES it. I'm making another in the morning for a customer in Nova Scotia.
    Thanks again,
    Harry

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    It looks like it would be great, would give a little more room than a round one. I like the stand, too, so I could set it on a table to work hands free! Great!

  11. #11
    Garylester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    27
    Harry, I have a lap top hoop made by my LQS owner's son. It's great, but then I just saw your "sit on with spinner" in your post here. My hoop is all over my lap the wrong way usually. So, I went I went to your web site and found that you sell the "sit on with spinner" separately to put on my hoop. So, it will arrive here in Illinois soon I hope. Thank you. You have a great story on your site. Gary

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    Love the square hoop. I have a square quilting rack and love it. I'm going to look too. Looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing your ideas on this.

  13. #13
    Super Member LyndaOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northwest Ohio
    Posts
    1,231
    I love Harry's hoops! My husband got me one for a gift and I just added the travel version.

    Thanks, Harry!

  14. #14
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Garylester
    Harry, I have a lap top hoop made by my LQS owner's son. It's great, but then I just saw your "sit on with spinner" in your post here. My hoop is all over my lap the wrong way usually. So, I went I went to your web site and found that you sell the "sit on with spinner" separately to put on my hoop. So, it will arrive here in Illinois soon I hope. Thank you. You have a great story on your site. Gary
    Hi Gary,

    Thanks for the order and I hope that Conversion Kit works out for you. Email me or post some feedback.

    Harry

  15. #15
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Lynda,

    My neighbor calls me Harry Hoop or Hooper since I am always walking around the neighborhood sanding someones order. Thanks for the recommendation.

    Harry Hoops!

    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    I love Harry's hoops! My husband got me one for a gift and I just added the travel version.

    Thanks, Harry!

  16. #16
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Be ready Harry. :) I was telling Mom about this hoop I saw on the internet. She is internet free. Anyway, she said order them for us. So I put identical orders in for us tonight. Now if I could just talk her into moving closer so we can quilt together. :)

  17. #17
    Junior Member harryb1834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kingston, MA.
    Posts
    164
    Blog Entries
    4
    Madamepurl,
    I'll be ready. Keep in mind each frame is built to order. I can't build enough to keep stock on handl. I typically takes two days to finish up the orders. Please send feedback on how these new "square" frames work out. Try doing a border or a full block inside it.
    Thanks,
    Harry B.

    Quote Originally Posted by madamepurl
    Be ready Harry. :) I was telling Mom about this hoop I saw on the internet. She is internet free. Anyway, she said order them for us. So I put identical orders in for us tonight. Now if I could just talk her into moving closer so we can quilt together. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    Super Member mpspeedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rural Maryland
    Posts
    1,566
    I have both shapes from Grace only mine are the floor stands. I keep one upstairs and one down. I long ago taught myself to quilt with both hands so I can go in both directions. I have the larger hoops as I am very speedy and the smaller ones require constant rehooping. When I go to Bee I take a small piece to handquilt and use a PCP frame. I quilt at the Senior Center on a conventional floor frame. I much prefer my home frames.
    Your frames look like excellant workmanship. If I was into the lap style I would purchase one of yours in a mintue.

  19. #19
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb1834
    Madamepurl,
    I'll be ready. Keep in mind each frame is built to order. I can't build enough to keep stock on handl. I typically takes two days to finish up the orders. Please send feedback on how these new "square" frames work out. Try doing a border or a full block inside it.
    Thanks,
    Harry B.

    Quote Originally Posted by madamepurl
    Be ready Harry. :) I was telling Mom about this hoop I saw on the internet. She is internet free. Anyway, she said order them for us. So I put identical orders in for us tonight. Now if I could just talk her into moving closer so we can quilt together. :)
    No worries about the time at all. I told Mom how beautiful they are and hand crafted. If we crafters/artisans know one thing is it takes time. I have two samplers with borders ready. I'll save those for the hoop and will let you know. Thanks so much! Rose

  20. #20
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    We got our hoops. Love them! I played with it a little and it's awesome. I'm hoping to get a bigger project going soon and will work it up on the hoop.

    Rose

  21. #21
    Super Member patchsamkim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fox Valley Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,937
    Nice looking hoop!
    All I remember hearing years ago was that a round hoop was better than an oval hoop..something about that an oval hoop could distort the quilting because of the differences in the length/width of quilting area.

  22. #22
    Junior Member Lobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, UK
    Posts
    228
    I prefer a rectangular Q-snap to a round wooden hoop, but there are a number of reasons. One is that I prefer the lightweight frame with clamps to the double ring that's screwed to tighten it. Another is that I'm only 4'11, and I find it easier to manoeuvre an 11" X 17" Q-snap so that I can get to all bits of it, than I can to reach across a 16" round hoop. And a 14" round hoop starts to get a bit too small to get the tension right and to get enough into it. I vastly prefer square or rectangular frames because they tile neatly across the quilt, whereas with round ones you end up with your hoop partly over a section you've already quilted. Borders work out better as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.