Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Square that Stopped Me in my Tracks

Square that Stopped Me in my Tracks

I was picking through 2.5" squares that I received in a recent birthday swap, but hadn't noticed the first time it came. But tonight I came across it, and ...whoa! Took my breath away.

This square, sent as one of 50 scraps of the same size, from a complete stranger here on the board, is exactly the same print that went into the very first quilt I made.
    The quilt was for my mom's graduation from nursing school (when she was 57) . That was 18 years ago! I haven't seen the quilt since, because she put it away (it was "too nice").

Name:  FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  49.3 KB

If you are reading this and recognize it as one you sent out in the 2016-17 b'day candy swap, please tell me. I'd love to know!

It's nice when something like that happens! It does bring back memories, good ones at that!

Ask your Mom to take that quilt out of storage and make some memories with it! It has too much of your love in it to be shut up in a box somewhere. I have seen gorgeous quilts in Good Will, never used - kept for 'good'. When the owner passes to his/her reward, the relatives have no clue what to do with it, so it goes to Good Will.
    Last edited by cathyvv; 05-21-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Power Poster
    I recognize that fabric as well. It came in several colour ways and I loved it.

Pretty fabric, but I don't recognize it... so it wasn't me who sent it!

Funny, but I was just working with my birthday squares tonight too. I made 50 9-patches out of them. They are so cute! I'm planning to do the Patches of Life quilt with them. Have to put together about 20 more.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I cut many bolts of that fabric in the early 90s at JoAnn's. I think because it was my favorite, I steered customers to it. I liked the brown, too.

It possibly could've been me, but I'm not sure. I've had that fabric in several colorways, too, and there could've been some left in my scrap pile.

My checkbook cover is made with the purple!

I loved that fabric. I used quite a bit of it.

I didn't send it but that was one of my favorite fabrics too! I was given yardage in a friend's mom's stash. I have used it up but I know how a fabric brings back memories. Good luck, I'm sure someone has it somewhere.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I didn't send it because I don't have it. Such possibilities with it. I'm thinking log cabin.

Blog Entries
    not mine, but its a beauty!

I actually decided to make a puzzle quilt with my candies. Started last night. But I buried this piece at the bottom of the pile in my storage pile because I'm not quite ready to incorporate it into this quilt (since I don't know if I'll give it away or keep it).

A sweet memory!

I have a similar fabric and it makes me smile when I run across a scrap of it.

I totally understand your feeling of surprise. My husband's sister made him a quillow many years ago and one of the fabrics in it showed up in a quilt from my church quilting group that was made for my husband in 2010. Unfortunately, he never saw it but I use it on my bed in the winter and, every once in a while, the memory of the 2 fabrics being used so many years apart pops in my head. Lol!

Connie
    Last edited by retiredteacher09; 05-22-2017 at 12:48 PM.

It wasn't me but I also have that fabric. Almost bought some of the purple as well.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    I was picking through 2.5" squares that I received in a recent birthday swap, but hadn't noticed the first time it came. But tonight I came across it, and ...whoa! Took my breath away.

This square, sent as one of 50 scraps of the same size, from a complete stranger here on the board, is exactly the same print that went into the very first quilt I made.

Name:  FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  49.3 KB

If you are reading this and recognize it as one you sent out in the 2016-17 b'day candy swap, please tell me. I'd love to know!

Pretty sure it was from me. I used many of my scraps for last year's birthday swap. I know I had some of the fabric in the green/blue and also in a pink/maroon color way. I did not purchase it though. It was in my SIL's stash that I inherited after she passed away. I know I do not have even a fat quarter size piece but I may have some small cuts. I will look and you would be welcome to what ever little bits I may have if you would like them.

I also had some of that fabric I loved it.

I have some of that fabric!! But I didn't participate so it wasn't from me!

I love that fabric.

LOL ... thus was one if the first fabrics i ourchased when I took my first few quilting classes...yes I remember I ouchased it at JoAnn's in the '90's... I will have to look to check if I ever used it or is it is a full cut...mine is the purple.
    Yes bring back great memories. Now I am wondering what i wantwdti make with it...

Judy in Phx, AZ

Make your mom a little throw pillow to go with her quilt.

I didn't send it, but I have some in my stash. It's an older fabric by Peter Pan fabrics, it came in many different color ways.
    Sharon in Texas

Blog Entries
    i had that fabric in a few colorways, black, blue, purple, green. apparently, I loved it too.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    Pretty sure it was from me. I used many of my scraps for last year's birthday swap. I know I had some of the fabric in the green/blue and also in a pink/maroon color way. I did not purchase it though. It was in my SIL's stash that I inherited after she passed away. I know I do not have even a fat quarter size piece but I may have some small cuts. I will look and you would be welcome to what ever little bits I may have if you would like them.
    Thank you. It's very kind and thoughtful, but I don't want any more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by marymild View Post
    Make your mom a little throw pillow to go with her quilt.
    I would if she had appreciated the quilt enough to use--or even display it. But when I never saw it again, my feelings were hurt, and she has not appreciated handmade gifts from others, either. She thanks the giver, and kind of "gushes" over the thoughtfulness, but she'd rather have books as gifts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
    I was just recently given a piece of the green (1.25 yards) and a piece the pink/maroon (2.5 yards). I love them. I had never seen them before, and will be looking for something for me to make out of them. Isn't it funny that we all find ourselves "caught" by the same fabrics even nearly thirty years later? I wonder why they never reissue best sellers? You would think it would be easy since they already have the plates for them to be printed.....
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I've said many times that I miss my mom so much cuz who else can you give your hand made items to that will love them! I have displayed and used every little gift my kids ever made. My mother hung every needlework,used every afghan, displayed and used everything I ever made her. I miss her!