Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Squares and triangles question

Blog Entries

Squares and triangles question

If I have a square and I want to put a triangles on each side how do I come up with the proper measurements for the triangle? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I posted about a great online calculator here https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-...r-t292774.html
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

What are you trying to make? Do you have a pic? I guess it would depend on if you want equilateral or iscosiles (omg-my mind went a blank with the spelling of this word!)triangle?

Jenny Doan has this in one of her u-tube tutes. What ever size of the square that you want to add triangles to, just say 61/2 in. For triangle color cut the same size square. Cut from corner to corner both ways making 4 triangles. Add to square and trim.

Power Poster
    I resort to graph paper.

I draw the "finished size" of the square and triangle on graph paper - then add seam allowances to my drawings.

Then I measure my drawings - I would probably cut them out and glue them to template plastic.

One can cut the triangles one at a time, as half-square triangles, or as quarter-square triangles. "How" one cuts the triangles is determined by the fabric available, and how you want the grain lines on the finished item.

For the drawing on the bottom - and you want to cut the triangles as QSTs from a square -

The (theoretical) formula is:

Center square: finished size plus 1/2 inch

Square to cut QSTs from: finished size of side of center square plus 1-1/4 inches (I would cut them at least 1-3/8 inches)

Example: Center square finishes at 4 inches - cut square 4-1/2 inches
    Triangles - cut square 5-1/4 inches to cut into QSTs (I would cut my square at least 5-3/8 inches and trim.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bearisgray; 05-19-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Power Poster
    Additional drawing:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by grandmahoney View Post
    If I have a square and I want to put a triangles on each side how do I come up with the proper measurements for the triangle? Any help with this would be appreciated.
    Is this what you are trying to do? http://frugalquilting.com/square_in_...ting_block.htm
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    Yes this is what I am looking for. My little sister is learning to quilt and she needed written directions that she can put in front of her so she can keep going back to them if she needs to. She wants to learn to quilt so bad. And thank you for this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Additional drawing:
    I hope you don't mind if I print this. I am trying to help my sister learn to quilt. And I always work from a pattern so I wasn't much help to her. But this method may be the easiest for her. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Thank you Ladies this was a big help. I am trying to teach my sister how to quilt and I always use a pattern so when she ask me this question I didn't know. But now I will be able to help her and we both will be learning! Thank you all for your help!

Blog Entries
    I also bookmarked this! Thank you!

Power Poster
    Anyone is welcome to copy anything I post on this board.

I sometimes need to draw things out to "get" them -

and sometimes I can "explain" in a drawing better than I can explain in words.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    If you use two squares the same size, and cut one twice on the diagonal, there will be no 1/4" seam allowance on the block so I cut the second square an inch larger, and re-cut twice, though it means trimming down later.

I would do the same.