Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring Up Log Cabin Block >

Squaring Up Log Cabin Block

Squaring Up Log Cabin Block

Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM

I have never tried it YET, but would love to try it in the future. Gaining ground as I listen to all the hints on here. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM

I took an LC class, teacher suggested we cut the strips the correct length for the side rather than sewing on the strips , then cutting. It was more accurate.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
You can square up blocks (and probably even rows, if you have gotten that far) using Sharon Schamber's method of spray starch and ironing. She has some video demo's on Youtube about this. Here is a link to one of them, although she has several others there too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RIWhBvcA
I've used Sharon Schamber's method myself on the few log cabin quilts I've made and it works ... even though I squared up as I went along, there were still a few minor anomalies. Sometimes it's the fabric, you know?

That said, the last few I've made I've foundation paper pieced with no heartburn in squaring up ... but paper removal can be a pain.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM
cjr

I am in love with log cabins now; very afraid when I did first one. Squaring after each round not necessary in my book. I square up each block when finished. I also make last 2 logs a little wider to give me leway. I do not precut length of logs; they get moved to often in my small sewing space. I cut log after sewn. Much less confusion. As long as each finished block is squared up no matter what the design is , usually very little squaring up is needed on finished quilt. Hope this helps,
Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I've been quilting since 1992 and just now started squaring up my blocks and oh, what a difference it makes. If I don't read about it or someone doesn't tell me about it, then I don't know these things. Someone recently told me to square up each block. Wish I knew that a long time ago. At least I know it now. I've been reading the tips pages and have learned quite a bit. I've taken classes but no one said to square up the block. I'm learning a lot here on QB.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Not too long ago I put together log cabin blocks that had been made by a friend (deceased) to make a throw for her sister. The cabins were sewed horribly, none were the same size, there weren't enough, the smaller blocks had more logs than the larger ones. It can be done but it goes against most everything we're taught so it's not easy. I had been given some of Pat's fabric to use to finish the quilt. It's not as orange in person as it looks in the picture and this IS right side up. If I can put this together it won't hurt a thing to square up the blocks a little. Personally I think this is one ugly throw but Pat's sister loves it.
Attached Thumbnails pb200242.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
though it is better to square after each step, there is another way to correct the out of square/size problem even at the end of the block. Mark on a piece of freezer paper the correct size and shape of the block. place that on the ironing board. lay your block on top of this and carefully pin the block with straight pins matching the correct size lines on the paper. use plenty of pins. When pinned down, Spritz it with water. this will relax the fiber and either stretch or shrink it a little to fit the pinned size. if it needs to shrink a little more hold a hot iron above it to heat the fabric. Leave the block pinned in place until completely dry.
Does the block revert to its previous size after finishing the quilt and washing it?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM

I recently made a twin log cabin and I can relate to the blocks getting a bit wonky. I squared the blocks up after a few rows, and again when all the rows were added. It's time consuming but the blocks were all trimmed to the same size. I kept check on the center square to make sure it was kept square, if not square the whole block gets off center.

I learned early on to square up each block in a quilt. When I made my first few quilts I thought since I had cut the pieces to size and sewed 1/4" seams the blocks all would come out the same size. Well, that's not the case so my quilts were bigger on one side than the other and the sides were wavy.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 01-10-2012 at 10:06 PM.