Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring up a Rob Peter to Pay Paul Block >

Squaring up a Rob Peter to Pay Paul Block

Squaring up a Rob Peter to Pay Paul Block

Old 11-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Default Squaring up a Rob Peter to Pay Paul Block

I am attempting my 1st Rob Peter to Pay Paul quilt in all black and white....might throw in a touch of red....still thinking about that. However, my question is has anyone made one and is there any suggestions, helpful hints on how to square up the blocks so that I pretty much have all my point touching....I'M A FREAK THAT WAY!!!

I am just practicing with a few blocks right now and found one or two point not quite what I wanted them to look like, don't know how well they will match. I will see when I get 5 or 6 blocks done and all sewn together to get a better idea.

Any help, suggestions, ideas, videos, sample pictures of your Rob Peter to Pay Paul quilt and etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

DeMaris
Old 11-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

It'd be helpful for you to show us the blocks you have done ... so we have a visual.

If you're not happy with your points, it's usually one of two things that will resolve the problem .... cutting and sewing accurately
Old 11-21-2011, 11:35 AM

Squaring up will result in cutting off areas that may look strange. My suggestion is to make a couple of practice blocks so that you get it right sized the first time with your chosen fabrics. If you square it up, you may loose the pattern. Look in this example how it matches up. Fudge to get things to match up.

However, if your planned quilt is more like the top one on this page, then squaring up won't effect the pattern.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Those were both so pretty....I'm not sure I am talented enough to tackle this one....but I am going to try about 6 to 8 block with scraps first and see if they match up like I want them to and square up the way I want them to. thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 PM

I made 4 blocks total and I figured it out and it was so simple.....I almost feel totally stupid, but as it is, I'm just partically stupid....LOL. Some one forwarded me a link that shows me how to sew it without pinning...awesome...works great, what a time saver that is. Then I figured out why my corners were a tad wonky....now, I'm on a roll. My goal is to have the top done by Sunday without borders.....I hope...I hope...I hope.....I will post pictures later. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM

Default Rob Peter to Pay Paul Photo

The colors are not as true as they could be. The quilt top turned out better than I expected. Thanks for all your help!!! I now just need to square it up a tad and put on the final borders and then quilt that bad boy and I'm done!!!! I had a friend offer me $350 for it....LOL. Like I will sell it....NOT!!!
Attached Thumbnails rptpp-quilt-1.jpg   rptpp-quilt-2.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM

gorgeous. How did you do that without pinning?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM

There is a YouTube video out there that shows you how. Sew them slowly and the carefully and the curves just gently go together with little to no manipulating. Line up the corner of the center piece to the corner of the melon piece and put the melon down on the maching with the the top side up. Put the center piece back side up (with the tops facing each together. Use your right hand to guide the melon piece along the edge of the guide on the 1/4" presser foot, and use your left hand to hold the fabric above and gently guide it to the guide on the presser foot so they meet and sew slowly. The video shows you how....cut a few extras on scraps and play as that is what really gives you the hang of it. I will try to find the link of the video and post it later for you all.

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
gorgeous. How did you do that without pinning?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

That is one gorgeous quilt.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

There are more than one verson of this pattern. Which one are you using?