Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stabiliser for Machine Applique on quilt block >

Stabiliser for Machine Applique on quilt block

Stabiliser for Machine Applique on quilt block

Old 01-26-2024, 08:41 PM

Default Stabiliser for Machine Applique on quilt block

Hi Everyone, Can I please ask what stabilizer is recommended for machine applique to be used on a quilt block. Just thinking it would need to be extra stable for when the quilt is washed.

Thanks Carolyn
Old 01-26-2024, 09:38 PM

I don't use any stabilizer for machine applique, in my opinion once it's quilted, it's stabilized enough.

The only instance I can imagine *needing* to use a stabilizer is if you were doing a really thick, heavy satin stitch around your appliques, which I dislike, so I don't do that kind of stitch. For applique I utilize one of the following stitches/methods: zigzag, buttonhole, needle-turn, reverse applique, or the starch/freezer paper method.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:59 AM
Gay

Stabilizer will stop satin stitch puckering and can be wash-away (maybe 2 layers), iron-on, the stuff like blotting paper, and batting. Most of the time I use batting or copy paper and soak to remove it.
Old 01-27-2024, 09:56 AM

I do use newsprint as a stabilizer on all my machine appliqué, as I like the look of my machine stitching better. However I do remove it before putting the block into a quilt, so it is not needed to stabilize the block within the quilt.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:29 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. Just to fill you in a little better, I have stabilized with tear away and the blocks turned out pretty well, and look good after the stabilizer was removed. I am just concerned that when washed they will kind of crinkle up. I did a trial hand wash of two blocks and this did happen close to the embroidery, (eg between the butterfly wings) this ironed out, but I don't want this to happen after every wash. There is satin stitch on the outside of the appliqued butterfly wings on each block.
Would it be crazy to have two layers of fabric (with tear away underneath) and leave the bottom layer in as a permanent stabilizer?
Thanks
PS its a kid's quilt, so I'm hoping it get used a lot and therefore would need washing from time to time
Old 01-27-2024, 06:11 PM

You can use a leave-in stabilizer by Sulky called something like “soft and sheer.” You can use more than one layer if you like and trim it off around the stitching on the back side. It’s so soft, you don’t need to cut very close and can graduate the edges if there are more than one.

I have used this with satin stitching and also with decorative stitching on quilt blocks. It’s intended to be used for children’s tshirt appliques, etc. Lovely stuff and not slippery.

If you use a fine thread, such as 60 weight, your satin stitching will not be thick or wide.

hugs,
charlotte

Last edited by charlottequilts; 01-27-2024 at 06:14 PM.