Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stack and whack fabric ideas >

Stack and whack fabric ideas

Stack and whack fabric ideas

Old 04-24-2018, 12:55 PM

Thanks for both your ideas and photos. I will see if I can find some mirrors to take shopping with me! I like the idea of using the virgin fabric within the quilt or as a backing.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
Thanks for both your ideas and photos. I will see if I can find some mirrors to take shopping with me! I like the idea of using the virgin fabric within the quilt or as a backing.
You're Welcome!

The mirrors don't have to be very big or expensive.
Mine are just from the $ $tore, about 5"x7" or so.
They had a plastic frame around them, and then I duct taped them together to make it easy for them to stand up.

Another way to include the fabric is as part of the border.
Some just put a patch of it with the label. Some don't include any at all.

Good Luck with your shopping!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:54 PM

Here is one I made from peacock fabric

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593574[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593575[/ATTACH]
This shows the original fabric as a "panel" (it was yardage but I used a fussy cut piece as a panel)

Here is one I made out of demin weight fabric it was to thick for the center seams so I raw edge appliqued the pieces

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593576[/ATTACH]

Here is what I am currently working on

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593577[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593578[/ATTACH]
Pieces for the back

[ATTACH=CONFIG]593579[/ATTACH]
The main fabric for the last quilt.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0202.jpg   dsc_0204.jpg   asaw4.jpg   dsc_1203.jpg   dsc_0414.jpg  

img_0439.jpg  
Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

ah, mine was actually a four patch posey. squares. but still interesting designs come out of the fabric.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 PM

Kassaundra I love your last one!

is there a difference between Stack and Whack and One Block Wonder? I have seen these terms used apparently interchangeably but I am sure that I have read on a facebook post that they are definitely not the same thing (but with no explanation)
Old 04-25-2018, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

..........is there a difference between Stack and Whack and One Block Wonder? I have seen these terms used apparently interchangeably but I am sure that I have read on a facebook post that they are definitely not the same thing (but with no explanation)
The same .... but different!
Same technique.
The difference being the number of layers of fabric you stack, and cut.

Four layers ... 4 Patch Posey
Six Layers ... One Block Wonder
Eight Layers ... Stack and Whack
Kaleidos ... a general word used for any and all!

If you want to see something amazing, look for Dresden Plates or Grandmothers Fan using the same technique, of course, with the right # of layers. There's been several posted here on the QB.

Just to add to the confusion, there is another Stack and Whack quilt pattern.
When I started quilting, I took a class for that one ... stacked up a dozen coordinating fabric squares.
Cut them all across on the same angle.
Shuffle the fabrics and stitch the new combos back together.
Stack again, and slice in a different angle. Shuffle. Stitch.
Repeat several times.
Then square the blocks to the same measurements and stitch together.
It can make a nice quilt, but to me, no where near as nice as all of the above.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 AM

I used to use the terms interchangeably. According to the FB group started by (or at least she is deeply involved in) an author of at least 3 one block wonder books, the one block wonder has no connecting elements (sashing or dividing / sectioning etc) of the 6 or 8 repeated pieces. But then they have exceptions to that they allow some star triangle surrounds (but not to many) they allow 3D blocks that seems unlimited for amount. I have also seen allowing some sashing like dividing the whole quilt into 3 sections w/ sashing they seemed to view that as a "one block wonder". Basically the only place that I care about the difference is when deciding if I want to post a picture to that specific page otherwise what it is called really doesn't matter much to me. According to their "rules" almost everything I make or will make is a stack and wack not a one block wonder. So I joined the other more liberal FB group and post pics there it is OBW S&W & 4PP's We love them all
Old 04-25-2018, 07:07 AM

Thanks I am really loving how that one is coming out. The original fabric reminded me of the 70's, so the inspiration for the front is an up close view of a 70's beaded curtain.
Kassaundra I love your last one!

is there a difference between Stack and Whack and One Block Wonder? I have seen these terms used apparently interchangeably but I am sure that I have read on a facebook post that they are definitely not the same thing (but with no explanation)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 AM

Thanks (I think!) for the explanations. It is a stack and whack workshop am doing and the example dies look like it is the block surrounded by a plain background colour -so that makes sense.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:41 PM

I started out with Bethany Reynolds Stack and Whack book which is available used from Amazon and explains things very well. A must have if you want to understand S&W.Quilter 65 has presented local workshops and has posted her quilts on QB and does an outstanding job...award winning quilts. Look up her name and click to see her pictures. I am in awe of the talent on this board and all have excellent answers to questions.

I fell in love with Bethany Reynolds "Good Morning" and have made it a number of times. It repeats six times, 45 degree cuts and is edged with a 60 degree triangles and borders. Do have fun with it and enjoy each step of the progress. Good luck on your workshop.