Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stand back >

stand back

stand back

Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 AM

when i'm in "hunting" mode, there are three things i bring with me: a clear red clipboard to put my shopping list on, that also serves as my "red window" when i'm comparing values. i have a fresnel lens sheet made for quilters that is a rectangle, with 20 smaller "windows" of lens in it that gives me an idea of how a pattern of fabric will look as a quilt; and my good old measuring tape--so i can assure myself of pattern and repeat sizes. they all stay on the clipboard, along with my fabric needs. (i love the red clipboard--it's handy, useful, and hard to lose or leave behind.)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1 View Post
when i'm in "hunting" mode, there are three things i bring with me: a clear red clipboard to put my shopping list on, that also serves as my "red window" when i'm comparing values. i have a fresnel lens sheet made for quilters that is a rectangle, with 20 smaller "windows" of lens in it that gives me an idea of how a pattern of fabric will look as a quilt; and my good old measuring tape--so i can assure myself of pattern and repeat sizes. they all stay on the clipboard, along with my fabric needs. (i love the red clipboard--it's handy, useful, and hard to lose or leave behind.)
It is helpful to also have a GREEN value "window" to evaluate reds better.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Amen to that! Same goes for picking wall paint.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
When selecting fabrics, put them together and then stand back several feet.

What sometimes looks "perfect" up close, doesn't always look as wonderful when one stands several feet away.
I learned a tip from my guild ...... Look through a peep hole that fits in a door (got mine at Lowes)....looks like your looking from a distance and the pattern and colors are very clear. I do it all the time now.......
Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Just had a thought. Why couldn't fabric have a "window" of the red plastic so we could put our fabric behind it to see the value. It could hang near the cutting table or in their classroom. A small piece would work, too, say 5 X 7. Maybe!
That was a strange one. I usually re-read my posts, but I messed up this time. What I wanted to say was that a fabric store could have the red window in their fabric department.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka1 View Post
You can't just leave it at that, lol, where did you get your red clear glass clip board? I haven't tried this method but hope to someday as I'm learning.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 AM

*chuckle* sorry--didn't even think that someone else might give it a try! i went to a big office supply store--at work, one of the guys came up with blue ones for charting in our work area, red ones for important announcements in the office, white ones for doing ordering, etc. this time of year might be good--school's starting, and the office supply places will be filling up with "goodies". it's a clear red acrylic/plastic--and i might try to find some green cellophane to make a portable "window" for evaluating the reds. it's never really been an issue--but it's worth a try. one more thing i can pop onto that clipboard!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 AM

This is something that I forget to do and then discover after it's all sewn together that I don't have enough contrast in some areas. Good reminder, to use a design wall and stand back before sewing together.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

There is nothing "wrong" with an item being made with similar values - it's just another thing to be aware of and to do "consciously".
Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 AM

I recently made a purple quilt with 7 different purples - all purple - all very close in value. From a distance it looked like a whole cloth - but up close, you could see the different fabrics. It was exactly my intent and the new owner was delighted - it was one of those that evoked the thot that we're all the same, we're all different, we're all tied together, yet separate...which has a very deep meaning for her and I.