Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch! First and last time user >

Starch! First and last time user

Starch! First and last time user

Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 AM

I love using my starch ! the stiffer i can get the fabric the better , and yes i agree with comments about Mary Ellens it just doesnt seem to work as great as starch
Old 03-18-2014, 10:42 AM

I use Spray Sizing. It isn't as stiff as the spray starch, but still gives some body.
We learned at guild that starch attracts moths, as the spray sizing doesn't.
Mariah
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM

I had the same issue with starch. I use sizing, it comes in a spray can and is located next to the starch in Walmart. Cost is less than a dollar. Great stuff!
Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM

I love Niagra non-aerasol spray starch. Makes everything crisp and easier to cut and I hate cutting.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by jude by the sea View Post
I use starch usually Best Press which to me is very light vs some that you buy at grocery store. I usually use it with pressing my seams. I am curious about how all you "starchers" use it. I mean after you prewash your fabric do you starch the whole piece of fabric then cut the starched material? How do you use it when piecing? Do you lay pieces out then starch the pieces then go to sewing machine? Just curious as some of you sound like it really helps piecing?
I have put the piece of fabric in a bucket with the starch after washing, let it dry a little: damp dry from the dryer or line is perfect, then iron it.
And I like to starch a block with the Sta-Flo 4 to 1 after it is all sewn. What a difference it makes! I'm making a Scrapbasket quilt right now, and all edges are bias after it is trimmed. So starch is very necessary here. Diluted Sta-Flo does not flake and the fabric doesn't wrinkle after use. I've never had any trouble with bugs of any kind.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 AM

Love me some starch! I use it all the time.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 AM

Default Best Press

Hello, use the Best Press it works great I get it on sale at my local fabric shop.
Vontina (wbfrog)
Old 03-19-2014, 05:12 AM

Use Best Press or Sizing and you will not have the flakes.

They both make your fabric easier to cut and sew as well.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:19 AM

I remember when I was a child, back in the 1950, my mother and grandmother damping down the clothes. This was done with a bottle with a special top. Made it like a mini water can. After sprinkling the item was rolled up and left for a short while to allow the water to penetrate the fabric. I use this technique when I use starch and don't get flakes.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by chamby View Post
Try using Best Press next time. It works great without the white specks.
I like Best Press but not its price tag. I learned on this board how to make my own. The recipe I use is 2 ounces of vodka, 2 cups of water, 8-10 drops of essential oil if you want. (There are other recipes!) I got the essential oil (lavender) at the drug store. They had to order it and one little bottle cost $20 but I haven't made a dent in it probably because I don't use more than 3 or 4 drops. DH had a really sensitive nose and we share the den/sewing room so we can be together. But the lavender smells lovely even at the reduced level, so subtle and clean smelling!

I do use starch for stiffness and don't find that my homemade or name brand Best Press does the job of adding body that the starch does. I only starch those fabrics that are more "flimsy" than others, not every fabric and certainly not most.

Last edited by mhollifiel; 03-19-2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: clarity