Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch not in spray can >

Starch not in spray can

Starch not in spray can

Old 04-13-2017, 04:47 AM

I can buy it at the grocery store.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I buy Sta Flow in a gallon Jug at Walmart and mix half water and half starch in a spray bottle. This works fine for me.
This is what I do. Out grocery store doesn't carry it anymore, so I use the bottle I got with Best Press about 5 or more years ago. Works well and hasn't gummed up - - yet. After 5 years.

If you want a bottle that sprays better, go to your beauty salon. I bought 2 bottles there for about $3 dollars each. They put out a mist, not drops.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:20 AM

great thread...thanks for all the input!!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I use the Sta-Flo and have couple spray bottles I got at the dollar discount stores. They also have them in Wal-Mart back in the beauty section. Some in the kitchen section near the ironing boards and starch sections. I use the small bottle and don't mind refilling. If any is leftover after I'm finished, say an ounce maybe 2 I may spray a couple strip scraps or just pour it down the drain then clean it out with a little dish detergent. Just put a little in the bottle and fill with water. Give it a good shake then run it through by spraying and repeat with warm clear water. You'll have a clean bottle to work with on the next project.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:32 AM

I usually buy StaFlo in a 1/2 gallon bottle and mix half & half in my own sprayer. I recently found Niagra, Lavendar scent in a 22 oz. sprayer at Meijer, our local grocery store and bought that to try it out. They just now started to carry it.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:47 AM

If your local store doesn't keep it on the shelves, you can order on line with free pick up at your local store. A gallon will last quite a while. Also you can ask the manager to stock it, may or may not have luck with that depending on individual. But the order/pick up is always available.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:29 AM

Go to the cosmetics department and look for a mister (not a man!) Usually its a smaller bottle but the spray is finer.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:33 AM

I buy sta-flo at WalMart and then mix it with Vodka.............known as the "Quilter's Moonshine". I dip my fabrics in the sink and then roll them thru my newly acquired wringer system.........old top of a wringer washer machine. Saves my hands from wringing them out and saves on wrinkles too. Then I hang them up over my double sink to dry.

Here's a pic of my wringer system............not pretty at the moment but its functional. I'll take it apart another day and paint the bottom half one color. The rollers do not leave a mark on the fabrics either. Tried it out on white muslin and it came out just as clean as before.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0002.jpg   dsc_0001.jpg  
Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 AM

I had been very dissatisfied with spray bottles even the best press sprayer as it left wet spots and didn't spray a fine enough mist for me. I found a cheap ($1) spray bottle in the spray starch section at Walmart and bought it on a whim. It sprays perfectly.....a very find mist of best press. Works great! Puts just enough starch and I don't have to wait all day for it to dry so i can iron it. so happy!
Old 04-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Our local grocery sells Niagra.