Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch/Sizing >

Starch/Sizing

Starch/Sizing

Old 08-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Default Starch/Sizing

I will use it - occasionally -

But I still want my washed fabric to have enough body to "stand up on its own" without NEEDING the starch/sizing added to make it "substantial enough to use."

I think of starch/sizing like Spanx or foundation garments - remove the garments and the body goes back to how it was - wash the item and the fabric reverts to how it was without starch/sizing.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 AM

I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree. However, I do use starch in my construction process only because I find it makes everything more stable and 'crisp' while handling. I do wash all my finished quilts and like the 'softer' feel in the finished product.

Never thought of starch in terms of spanx though - good analogy!
Old 08-20-2015, 10:07 AM

I starch only to get better construction results. It sure helps with bias edges, and cut down on the raveling. It is my favorite sewing notion.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I think using starch - to help with the process is a good idea -

I think using starch - to give the illusion that flimsy, poor quality fabric is better than it is - is not for me.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I like my fabric to be stiff before I cut it. I don't restarch after sewing but I may use a spray like Flatter or Best Press to get a flat block.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:33 PM

I haven't used starch, or anything even remotely resembling it, since 2007. Haven't missed it in the least and my quilts have certainly not suffered as a result. Just another of those 'personal choices' that makes us all unique.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I don't pre-wash and I still use starch lightly just to make sure the block keeps it's shape. So many of these new techniques coming out on u-tube have bias edges so with those, one would have to heavily starch for the block to keep it's shape.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I starch only to get better construction results. It sure helps with bias edges, and cut down on the raveling. It is my favorite sewing notion.
I agree with Lori S. 100%. I heavily starch, 80% Sta Flo, 20% water. I put the starched fabric in the freezer. When I take it out, it does take me a long time to iron it dry; but, to me, this is worth all the time it takes. Construction is a breeze. I use lots of bias edges and never have a problem. With all that starch, I have little raveling. I love,love,love starch! As soon as the binding is sewn on, I wash the quilt which removes the starch. I use starch only as a quilting aid. Oh, all that starch makes FMQ easier for me on my DSM.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 AM

Like franc36 I love my Staflo but use it 50/50. Now if I could conquer my quarter inch I would be So happy!!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I agree with Lori S. 100%. I heavily starch, 80% Sta Flo, 20% water. I put the starched fabric in the freezer. When I take it out, it does take me a long time to iron it dry; but, to me, this is worth all the time it takes. Construction is a breeze. I use lots of bias edges and never have a problem. With all that starch, I have little raveling. I love,love,love starch! As soon as the binding is sewn on, I wash the quilt which removes the starch. I use starch only as a quilting aid. Oh, all that starch makes FMQ easier for me on my DSM.
I use Terial Magic then wash out when finished.