Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch >

Starch

Starch

Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I have 2 cans of Magic Sizing Fabric finish Light Body says it makes ironing easier. Light body without Stiffness. Is that what I should use or did I buy the wrong thing?
Depends on what you like. Sizing is chemically made and so never attracts bugs. I personally don't use it because it doesn't make fabric as stiff as I like. When I buy spray starch, I buy the heaviest spray starch I can find (currently in my sewing room Magic Professional, I think from Walmart). For heavy starching of backing fabrics and fabric that will be cut on the bias, though, I mix up a solution of Sta-Flo and water.

It is safe to store fabric that has sizing in it indefinitely.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM

I starch the fabric before I even cut it...it holds the layers together better, and every time I press sewn pieces I starch and of course again before I sandwich the quilt, I starch the top again and also starch the backing well. Then I can mark the quilting design on the starch so when I wash the quilt all markings come right out......it works for me. :)
Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Spray starch helps a lot, especially any piece with a bias (starch before cutting) and the backs of quilts to be machine quilted. I hope you find a good source in your area. If not, it can be ordered online. It would be costly, but if you have a guild or just several quilting friends, you might be able to get together on a larger quantity to share. Maybe it would be reasonable. Amazon, for one, lists a large number of brands, so they must be reasonable enough to attract some buyers. Another idea: possibly a local laundry service could get some for you? That's just a guess, but there would be nothing to lose by asking.