Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starch?  when >

starch? when

starch? when

Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I always starch my fabrics before I ever cut them. I have used regular starch from the grocery store but I prefer Mary Ellen's. It is alot more expensive so I suggest that you 'hide' it from the rest of the family (in case they are ironing any of their clothes and might want to use starch).

Another word of caution...I buy my Mary Ellen's in a gallon container and then refill my little spray bottle as needed. I took a Sharpie marker and wrote on my gallon container that it is NOT to be put inside my iron. According to a quilt shop employee, someone was under the impression that one should put it in the iron (like distilled water)...that is a very big no,no. I did not want my hubby or daughters doing that so I labeled that bottle.
Where do you find Mary Ellen's by the gallon?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by stitchhappy
Originally Posted by Pam B
I always starch my fabrics before I ever cut them. I have used regular starch from the grocery store but I prefer Mary Ellen's. It is alot more expensive so I suggest that you 'hide' it from the rest of the family (in case they are ironing any of their clothes and might want to use starch).

Another word of caution...I buy my Mary Ellen's in a gallon container and then refill my little spray bottle as needed. I took a Sharpie marker and wrote on my gallon container that it is NOT to be put inside my iron. According to a quilt shop employee, someone was under the impression that one should put it in the iron (like distilled water)...that is a very big no,no. I did not want my hubby or daughters doing that so I labeled that bottle.
Where do you find Mary Ellen's by the gallon?
JoAnn's sells it online. It's $41.00 but I just ordered some with my 40% off coupon!
Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM

I buy mine at the LQS I frequent. They always have it in smaller containers but will special order it in the gallon for those who want it that way. It is about the same price as the Joann's on-line price in a previous post. Yes, I do realize it is costly but it lasts me a long time.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM

at our last quilt guild meeting it was recommended to use starch and not sizing for the reason above about attracting bugs, etc.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon
at our last quilt guild meeting it was recommended to use starch and not sizing for the reason above about attracting bugs, etc.
I've used both and had no problems with bugs... :shock:
Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM

There's been some great discussion on the Board about starch. I've learned a lot from them. If you put "starch" in search up above, you'll probably come up with several hits that have some good information. There's more than one way to do it, but I now starch and my piecing is getting more accurate.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM

I have made my first two quilts without starching and managed. Since, I have learned all about the reason for starching and am doing so on my new quilt I have just started I have been starching and my cutting seems to be much better, more accurate. I am not very good at this cutting and have really struggled but am doing much better since I bought some good rulers and using the starch.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 PM

Does spray starch go bad? I found a can in my closet and I'm not sure if I should use it or not. I can't even tell you how old it is?