Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stars For a New Day BOM >

Stars For a New Day BOM

Stars For a New Day BOM

Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 AM

I have emailed the shop. I think they are sick of me and I think they are a bunch of ding dongs.

The latest - one of the owners offered to send me the next month at no charge. The staffperson doing the mailing took that to mean that I shouldn't be charged for shipping.

Anyway, the owner's response to that was "Murphy's Law" and offered to sell me the remaining patterns at a discount and drop me from the program. I don't see how that really helps me since I'll be stuck with a top I can't finish - the fabric selections are theirs, not a particular line of fabric that is the same from shop to shop.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I was trying to get a sense for how typical my experience has been. Mistakes happen. I can deal with that. I've been more troubled by what has felt like the shop not doing what would best serve their customers.

Now that I've seen your reactions to this, I have doubts about the licensing of the pattern and I will follow up with the distributor. In this regard, I will be the Quilt Police.

I am not out to "get" the shop, but it's good to know that the things that were setting off the alarm bells in my head aren't trivial.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm glad you posted this - it is a good learning experience for all of us. Sorry that you are having problems though. Please keep us informed.

I have only done BOM's through a local quilt store and they have always been helpful. But, I learned the hard way that on the more intricate patterns if you make one cutting mistake there won't be enough fabric! Especially bad if I wait until the last minute to do it! The LQS has always been good about selling me a scrap for like a quarter - just enough to correct the problem.

What I started doing was going through my stash and using up scraps and making a practice block first. Really helps to understand. Even had enough to make a quilt for the kids playroom - which is now my playroom (quilting) since they are now grown.

One thing also that my LQS does is make the quilt ahead of time so you can see how it looks. Also insures they have read the pattern and it's doable.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 AM

Know what you should do? You should check out the BOM's that are going on here. I have never participated but have enjoyed looking at the pictures and have also noticed that someone is always willing to talk a problem through.

It would also give you a chance to interact with other members and share ideas.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 AM

It is a beautiful quilt. Maybe you can contact Sue and she can send you a colored copy.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 PM

I have definitely learned to buy the boo-boo bundle for projects I find online when one is offered.

Early in this BOM, I emailed the shop asking for a picture of their shop sample - no response. They have about 50 BOMs going - seriously; I'm not exaggerating - so I guess they don't do a sample for every one.

Sue did paste color photos of the blocks in her email to me. Once she did that, I realized I would never have gotten the star blocks together correctly. That's when I started this thread. I hoped to find someone else doing this BOM so we could compare experiences.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I wouldn't call you naive, I'd call you a decent human bean who is so honest it doesn't even occur to you that people could do such things.
My thoughts exactly! I really respect you for being so diligent about this. I don't think I would have been so "understanding". How far into this BOM are you?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM

Well, I don't know if I have been that understanding. I am well and truly annoyed with the shop, but if I had just posted a rant about them, I think I'd have just triggered a lot of venting from other users. Therapeutic at times, but not helpful to me in this situation.

It's a twelve month BOM and they just shipped month five. Within that short time frame, I have gone from very excited to do this program to no interest in working on it and no anticipation for receiving the next kit. It's still a beautiful quilt, but I very much regret signing up with this shop.

I have a new lqs that opened shortly before the other one closed and I discussed a lot of this with the owner. She has been a small businesswoman for years and I wanted to get the perspective from the other side of all this. She was taken aback by their behavior and had even stronger suggestions about what to do.

I am looking forward to hearing from the distributor. If it turns out they are violating copyright, I won't be too shy about condemning the rest of their behavior. Thanks everyone for your support. I will let you know what happens.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM

I just got off the phone with the distributor and the shop does have permission to send out the patterns. The distributor was glad I called and, I think, took away some good ideas for dealing with these poor copies going forward.

As I think I mentioned previously, the quilt was originally done as a BOM on The Quilt Show. Participants at that time were downloading the files and printing them, in color, using their own resources. When the pattern was converted to the current format, Sue took out the references to TQS, but no one thought about removing the instructions to check the scale on your printer. The distributor is going to pass that along to Sue for correction.

They're also now thinking about developing a color key or other more detailed instructions to help those of us struggling to figure out the color placement on the grayscale copy.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM

I was one that downloaded the patterns from the Quilt show when it was a BOM. I confess that I have not finished it as of yet. I think I have completed all of the pinwheel blocks and then got side tracked into something else. of course I used my own fabrics so I would not have the confusion you had about which colors go where.