Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Start/Sop Sewing Machine Button ?

Start/Sop Sewing Machine Button ?

I have a domestic, Janome Magnolia 7330 machine that has a start/stop button on it. I've only used it in the past just to check it out & it seems awkward using it but now I'm re-thinking about using it. My foot pedal acts up now & then & will not start my machine. I think it might be a short in the pedal or just a worn out pedal, etc. So today I decided to use the start/stop button & I think I'm beginning to more use to it. I do have to slow my speed (which is not a bad thing for me) & am sort of liking the button.

Has anyone else ever used that button & do you use it on a regular/full time basis? Do you like using it? Pros & cons for using it.

I use the Stop/Start button for some of the fancy stitches on my Janome, button holes, and for bobbin winding. I use it for some of the fancy stitches because the speed is more consistent than my foot control is with them! Also, when i went to 'stop' a completed run of fancy stitches, I know it will stop following a completed design. I have not used it for regular straight/zigzag etc.
    I have not had any problems with it.

Blog Entries
    I never use mine.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I love using the needle up/down button all the time on my one machine.

Neither machine I use all the time has a stop/start button.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

One of my machines has a start/stop button. I used it to quilt when I was just wanting a simple stitch. I could use the machine placed on the bar counter, and sit on a stool. Gave my back a break from the other position in a chair. And I couldn't reach the pedal with the necessary agility while sitting on the stool.

Oh my, I don’t use my foot pedal at all, I use my start stop button to sew, I have a Juki F600 that has speed control as well, so I find it very useful, and my foot is not chasing the pedal either. It’s the way I’ve been quilting since I started.
    Lisa

I never use mine. I like my hands on my work, so I use a knee lift for the presser foot. The stop/start button would require me to use one of the hands that I prefer to be controlling my work.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    I never use mine. I like my hands on my work, so I use a knee lift for the presser foot. The stop/start button would require me to use one of the hands that I prefer to be controlling my work.
    E
    Exactly what I do, and why!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

I have used my start/stop button, but very rarely, I much prefer to use the foot pedal.

I like my start/stop button for certain projects, such as a jelly roll race type of quilt when you are doing a lot of straight long stiches, or another example is when making a jelly roll rug and your sewing your fabric and batting after you've folded them. I do find I do have to slow my speed though when using it and for me there is a learning curve to it, my brain can't seem to remember to push the stop button instead of lifting my foot to stop sewing.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    Years ago I was doing a long sub position and it was with high school aged special ed students. They never had used a sewing machine before so I brought in my Bernina 440 QE with the stop start button. I taught them to use it rather than trying to get their hand foot coordination . They loved it.

I have one on my machine as well and like others, have only tested in 1-2x. Can't seem to wrap my mind around doing that vs using a foot pedal after decades of sewing that way.

It's mostly what you are used to I think.

I don't like the start/stop buttons, but I have a friend who doesn't even plug in her foot pedal and I have to admit that has some advantages. Personally, I like the speed control the foot pedal gives me, she just adjusts the knob by hand which just seems so wrong to me...

I've been using vintage machines most of my career and I was recently given a modern machine by a friend. I'm trying to learn the available features and not just use the straight stitch. So far I love the knee pedal for the presser foot up/down. And who doesn't love a working automatic threader??

I'm trying to remember that this model can raise/lower the needle with a tap of the bottom of the foot pedal. I've been using the button but again, I don't like buttons!

Blog Entries
    I use mine for embroidery.
    Judy

My Janome 6600 is 10 years old and I have never used the foot or knee petal.

I have used the start/stop button in class when I left my foot control at home. It saved my day.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    For some reason I thought you had to unplug the foot pedal to use the start/stop button so I’ve never used it on my Bernina. I have used it on my Janome but only when FMQ and was taught to set my speed control to low/medium speed.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I never use the stop/start button. The advantage I see of having that function is——-get ready——-when you take your machine to a class and you have forgotten to bring your foot pedal! :-)

They are very handy when you want only want one of the designs of your special stitches rather than continuing with the design across your fabric. Example: one heart rather than a row of them. It really works.

I haven't used the start/stop button to sew with yet. The first time I saw someone use it was Debbie Shore using hers while she did sewing tutorials on youtube.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    I use my start/stop button so much on my Brother that I have to stop myself from trying to use it on my vintage machines. LOL It's especially useful for paper piecing along with the auto thread cutter function.
    TwandasMom

I’m sure it’s probably great when you get used to it, but it scares me.
    Lori

I have a start/stop button but never have used it. I wasn't sure how to use it. I bought my Janome used and the foot pedal wasn't working so took it back to the dealer where I bought it and he put a new foot pedal on and said it was under warranty-Yeah!!! Works like a charm now so you might want to consider replacing your foot pedal.

Blog Entries
    I have a start/stop button on mine but rarely use it. I always felt like I really didn't have control. But after reading some of your posts I may give it another try. It didn't occur to me to slow down the speed, especially when nearing the end of the seam. And I sometimes have trouble reaching my foot pedal due to being short and my foot pedal wandering. But maybe after a little practice I think the start/stop button might be the solution!

I use mine all the time as my feet can't stand the pressure on my feet as they were stomped by horses when I was young. I had to change from my Bernina to Babylock machines.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast