Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Started a GFG using english paper pieceing >

Started a GFG using english paper pieceing

Started a GFG using english paper pieceing

Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Your GFG looks beautiful. I am attending a start up EPP Club which starts in two weeks...can't wait! In surfing the web last night I came across a blog where the gal had done Quilt as you go on her GFG. Each "flower was made of center and 2 or 3 rows and then backed, quilted and added to the quilt. Would anyone have instructions on this? Of course, I wandered on w/o bookmarking the site and now I cannot find it! Urggg!
Old 01-21-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nanachar View Post
Your GFG looks beautiful. I am attending a start up EPP Club which starts in two weeks...can't wait! In surfing the web last night I came across a blog where the gal had done Quilt as you go on her GFG. Each "flower was made of center and 2 or 3 rows and then backed, quilted and added to the quilt. Would anyone have instructions on this? Of course, I wandered on w/o bookmarking the site and now I cannot find it! Urggg!
I would really like to see this. If you run across the site again, would you please post it? I am in the process of quilting my 2nd GFG. Scrappy flowers. I do like the blues!
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 AM

I've been working on mine for 10 years. Lots of other projects inbetween and some years I haven't touched it. My top is almost all together. yea. here is a photo of each of the 17+ blocks
Attached Thumbnails img_1011.jpg  
Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nanachar View Post
http://sadiasews.com/sd2011.html Would this happen to be the site you wandered into? It looks like perhaps each flower is appliqued to a block and quilted, then each block was quilt as you go.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 PM

I have been working on my hexagon (not your typical GFG) since 2008. It is almost finished. It is definitely one of those projects that I get bored with and put aside then see what others are doing and get motivated to work on it again. I just never put it too far away in my sewing room so I can find it.
Good luck and don't get discouraged. Your flowers are looking great, especially the fussy cut ones! I too have blues if you want a trade. PM me
Old 01-21-2012, 06:18 PM

Looking good! I'm working on a little GFG table runner and it looks like it's going to take 2-3 years to finish. Now where did I put that thing anyway? I need to get busy :-)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM

You may have given me the solution to a problem that's been bothering me for over 30 years. When we built an addition on our house we put in blue fixtures in the bathroom. For me that was the wrong thing to do. I see colors differently with each eye, and I suspect that's what makes me very sensitive to colors that don't match. I can never seem to find towels/shower curtain/rugs/curtains that make me happy in that room. Perhaps a wall hanging like your GFG with all sorts of blues will make it easier to find and use blues that won't drive me crazy, because they won't have to match just the fixtures perfectly. Thank you! And, if you'd like some more blues to add to your hexagons, please PM me, also.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Default English paper Piecing

Isn't that where you sew the fabric to the paper or do you sew around the paper? Yours is beautiful, but I don't think I would have the patience to do anything with 1" pieces.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by humbird View Post
http://sadiasews.com/sd2011.html Would this happen to be the site you wandered into? It looks like perhaps each flower is appliqued to a block and quilted, then each block was quilt as you go.
The flowers were not appliqued. I think the flower was sandwiched and the backing was brought forward to make the binding. Then the flower "block is stitched to the quilt. I will continue to search for it.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by gailinva View Post
Absolutely gorgeous. I finished piecing one last year, queen size, worked on it off and on for eight years. This year I will have it longarm basted so I can hand quilt it. Hope it doesn't take another eight years.I love EPP.
I also have been working on a GFG for about 8 years english paper pieced - I am about halfway thru hand quilting it now and only work on it Thursday nights when some fellow quilters and I get together - am hoping to finish it in the next year or two - now that is a UFO I will be glad to see done and probably the only one made entirely by hand. will share a pic - someday!