Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Started my very first quilt tonight >

Started my very first quilt tonight

Started my very first quilt tonight

Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 AM

I learned to quilt by watching videos.
Quilterstv.com is free and you can learn everything there.
Qnn is the best but costs 24 dollars a yr since Fons and Porter bought it.
It used to be free.
Brightcove used to be good but it has changed and dosnt show full videos anymore.
Books by Eleanor Burns are the easiest to follow and have the best methods to use. She is the queen of quilting and has come up with the most innovating ways to simplify and be exact.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:14 AM

Welcome!! I remember my first quilt well...I almost quit the craft, but I sure am glad I didn't!!

Regarding your rulers and rotary cutting - do you have the rulers with the non-slip backing on them? You can purchase them (they are usually green) with the backing made into them, or you can purchase the backing separatly then cut and stick to the backs of your rulers to keep them from slipping on your fabric. These links to joanns will show you the non-slip backing you can purchase for current rulers or the non-slip ruler(s) you can purchase with the non-slip stuff "built in"!!

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd17402
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...&source=search
Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluebird
Congratulations on starting your first quilt! :D You have come to the best place for help, we all started somewhere and had the same questions that you will.

My input would be to try and find someone to spend a couple of hours with you to go over the basics of sewing, quilting, cutting and material selection.

Each square will get better and don't stress out, enjoy yourself.
I agree with Bluebird. Just take your time. Theres no race. Just enjoy. Show us pics on how your doing...... Congrats . oh yes Welcome to the forum. These gals are the very best to get ya started. I started back in May with all their help..
Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 AM

Oh, you are going to love quilting!!!!!! Don't be discouraged, I haven't been quilting long either and I found using the rotary cutter took some practice. Really, take your time cutting, it's worth it to be accurate. Use a plastic ruler, and put your rotary cutter right up against the edge (after lining it up), cut away from you (moving your other hand as necessary to keep the ruler in place). But, don't be worried about messing up fabric. Like the old saying goes, Practice makes perfect!

(One other bit of advice (boy, you're getting a lot, huh?), don't pick a design or block too hard to start out. There are lots of designs that look fantastic all made up that are very "easy".)