Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting on my first needle turn applique project >

Starting on my first needle turn applique project

Starting on my first needle turn applique project

Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 AM

"I picked up McKenna Ryan's Hanging in the Hood from Home Tweet Home collection. Some pieces are so intricate and narrower than 1/4", such as bird feet, so it is impossible to turn them under. They must be fused. Live and learn I suppose. "
Don't let a pattern dictate your method. I needle-turn applique a lot and find embroidery stitches look better on these tiny pieces better than trying to turn-under such narrow pieces. I've done several methods, traditional turn-under-as-you-go, templates with starch and iron, and combinations. A wooden toothpick dipped in water is a tool I cannot do without. It tucks those stubborn edges under, smooths out unwanted "points", tucks under frayed threads, really sharpens inside angles, etc. Good luck with your project!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 AM

Hi, newbie here with first post. I've ordered this kit too, may take a while to arrive, I live in Ireland. The tutorials were fab although I did find some of the first one hard to understand, so I may be back in touch to ask for your help
Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by sandyl View Post
I love needle turn applique. So fun to do. Takes practice to get your stitches to be just so, but I'm wondering if this Missouri Star kit could be used as a wool project. I love their kit pattern and would do one of each if I thought it could be done in wool as well as cotton.
The pattern definitely can be done in wool on cotton. I am actually thinking of doing another one in wool as well. It would be very cute in wool.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 AM

I luv needle turn appliqué ... Started about 3 yrs ago ... Going to start the Baltimore Christmas quilt 2013 .... Would luv to find the Baltimore Halloween at a reasonable price ....
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Have to agree with all of this post - slowly slowly and enjoy
Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
Take it slowly, be kind to yourself and remember that only practice makes it easy. I used to be the person who said "if god wanted me to sew by hand, the machine wouldn't have been invented." Hmm...fast forward to about eight years ago when a friend showed me her method and I am a convert. I do needleturn applique like a fiend now.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by roisinom View Post
Hi, newbie here with first post. I've ordered this kit too, may take a while to arrive, I live in Ireland. The tutorials were fab although I did find some of the first one hard to understand, so I may be back in touch to ask for your help
Hi Roisinom! Glad that you found us. I'm looking forward to hearing how you do with your project. It is alot of fun. We're all here to help as much as we can!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I picked up McKenna Ryan's Hanging in the Hood from Home Tweet Home collection. Some pieces are so intricate and narrower than 1/4", such as bird feet, so it is impossible to turn them under. They must be fused. By the way I am horrified of flying geese. Maybe you can teach me when I come back from this land of prohibitively expensive fabric.
I remember seeing McKenna Ryan many years ago when she was on Simply Quilts. It was when Storybook Farm first came out. I always loved that quilt but it is way too fussy for me. I loved that she used all different batiks.

Yes, we'll do flying geese when you come home. You'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was at how easy they are!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome & here is the first question. Looking at the picture of the project, I'm going to have to buy some new thread for this. Are there any particular brands/weight of thread that you could suggest? I have 2 spools of 100 weight YLI silk which looks perfect for fine stitches but the wrong colour. I also have 30 weight guterman silk but that looks very thick. Any thoughts/suggestions? TIA, Ro
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 AM

I began an applique pattern last night. Been a couple of years and yes I did it all backwards thinking I knew best. Stick to instructions not you mind.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by roisinom View Post
Are there any particular brands/weight of thread that you could suggest? I have 2 spools of 100 weight YLI silk which looks perfect for fine stitches but the wrong colour.
I recommend buying one of those assortment of bobbins of Bottom Line thread. It's a finer thread (60 wt) and sinks into the fabric just like silk does. There is PLENTY on the bobbin for applique. It's what I use for hand applique and it's absolutely wonderful. Some stores have them in the donuts, or you can purchase directly from Superior's website.