Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a quilting group at a retirement center >

Starting a quilting group at a retirement center

Starting a quilting group at a retirement center

Old 10-31-2019, 04:02 AM

I've often thought of doing a show and tell program at our local care center where I would bring quilts just to show and talk about. Tell how and when I got started quilting, etc. I know many can't hear or see but for those who can, ask them to share any thoughts, etc. What do you think?
Old 10-31-2019, 04:19 AM

I looked into doing the same thing a few years ago. The facility would not allow it, too much risk of injury and a huge liability. Extension cords are a risk, rotary cutters are definitely out, burns from irons, scissors had to be blunt ends, the list goes on and on. The facility did not want the liability and either did I. When I thought about the walkers, wheelchairs, declining eye site and shaky hands I totally agreed with them. The facility does have an activities director so I volunteered to help her and it has been a lot of fun.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:13 AM

A 87yo lady at our retirement center started a group this year. The oldest lady is 99. They have made 150 pillowcases for Casa, 75 Christmas stockings for Casa, 800 eye glass cases for the hospital and other things. I believe the leader cuts out most of the fabric. Some can only pin things together but they get it done. They get donations from people who know what they are doing. Our senior center also helps them with donation.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

This is a wonderful idea! Two years ago one of our members moved into an assisted living center. We held our afternoon monthly meeting at the center and H led the program that day with the help of another member; we made Easter baskets. Unfortunately H was diagnosed with terminal cancer a short time later and left us. Attendance was voluntary by the residents, but a great turn out of them. Several brought quilts for show and tell as well. I think we need to return to visit.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:42 AM

Don't forget you will need power strips, cords, outlets in the room. BTW Good for you! what a great idea. The seniors will love it. I think you are going to have fun.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:31 AM

It is a wonderful idea, but I think you need to start small. First, what will the facility allow? They all have very specific liability restrictions. They will have room size and use restrictions. Once those physical things are solved, then consider your projects. Perhaps making some individual blocks that folks can later use on tote bags, wine gift bags, in centerpieces, or accumulate for a wall hanging. If it is near holidays, perhaps decorative items. I would definitely precut (many, many blocks are made with 2 1/2" strips, so precut a bunch. Perhaps a guild or a LQS could donate a couple jelly rolls?). Make a few samples - progressive - and perhaps a handout. Many older folks are visual learners. Consider the layout - a ironing station should be in one corner out of traffic and no extension cords. Assume no one has supplies, so bring a flat box of scissors, pins (better would be quilter's clips), marking tools, threads, etc. Also, a couple cutting mats and rulers (remember your students - rotary cutters can be a problem). I have a grabber handle for my big ruler to assist students with applying downward pressure on the ruler.
Your idea is outstanding and I hope you are able to implement it. I work in a senior shop that for 40+ years has been an outlet for seniors to sell their handmade products. It not only gives them a bit of spending money (for more supplies!) but also validates their creativity and is so rewarding. A side benefit is that they are required to work 20 hours a month in the shop and this socialization is beyond beneficial to them - it can add years onto their lives!
Old 10-31-2019, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
It is a wonderful idea, but I think you need to start small. First, what will the facility allow? They all have very specific liability restrictions. They will have room size and use restrictions. Once those physical things are solved, then consider your projects. Perhaps making some individual blocks that folks can later use on tote bags, wine gift bags, in centerpieces, or accumulate for a wall hanging. If it is near holidays, perhaps decorative items. I would definitely precut (many, many blocks are made with 2 1/2" strips, so precut a bunch. Perhaps a guild or a LQS could donate a couple jelly rolls?). Make a few samples - progressive - and perhaps a handout. Many older folks are visual learners. Consider the layout - a ironing station should be in one corner out of traffic and no extension cords. Assume no one has supplies, so bring a flat box of scissors, pins (better would be quilter's clips), marking tools, threads, etc. Also, a couple cutting mats and rulers (remember your students - rotary cutters can be a problem). I have a grabber handle for my big ruler to assist students with applying downward pressure on the ruler.
Your idea is outstanding and I hope you are able to implement it. I work in a senior shop that for 40+ years has been an outlet for seniors to sell their handmade products. It not only gives them a bit of spending money (for more supplies!) but also validates their creativity and is so rewarding. A side benefit is that they are required to work 20 hours a month in the shop and this socialization is beyond beneficial to them - it can add years onto their lives!
Sounds like a Win Win situation!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:04 AM

Ironing board, I don't believe i saw that listed. I apologize if I missed that detail. This sounds like one of the best things i have heard of in a long time. Get a sign-up list going so you know just who is interested. You may want to get phone number so you can either call or text a reminder of the time, place and date of your event. We all get side tracked with something new about to happen. The reminder could make it a bit more personal especially with the first time of this event. Best of luck
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM

Irons and ironing boards.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:35 AM

I think that is a wonderful idea and I feel it would be so helpful to retired folks to have something to look forward to each week. Good luck to you.