Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starting a sewing group >

starting a sewing group

starting a sewing group

Old 09-23-2010, 11:26 PM

If some thought goes in as to how the projects are financed, you will probably have many willing hands. Lots of people can spare their time to make things but can't always afford to be funding or donating materials all of the time. Making projects from donated goods and fabric would be the ideal situation.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Power Poster

I think it is a wonderful idea. Maybe instead of monthly a weekly meeting. Once a month meetings never seem to work for me.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Banned

That is a wonderful thing you want to do, I hope the project is blessed, and you are able to bring happiness to those who are going through a very hard time. God bless.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 AM

My mother's church did a quilting project for Vacation Bible School this year. They made lap quilts to give to the church's rescue/relief efforts. When a disaster occurs, the team goes to the area and one of the things they provide is quilts for comfort and love. Sometimes people have lost everything and a quilt is a piece of love they can hold onto. Both men and women participated and they loved it!!!! There is now talk of starting a quilting group. I hope I will be able to help get this started. I think forming a group is an excellent idea. Everyone enjoyed the fellowship and good times so much. I made a scrap book to give to them to remember the fun times. Go for it!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:27 AM

We call ours " The warming ministry" because we quilt, knit, and crochet. There is no requirement to work on charity quilts but seems like the ladies like to work on them for practice. We all help each other and now we are getting donations of everything from fabric to notions, to supplies we would ordinarily have to buy.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Go for it, Grammie Sharon. I started one at my church early this year. We started with 2...sometimes 3. We are now up to 7. We meet in the church kitchen. Now that we are growing, if everyone comes, we will be expanding out into the sanctuary!

You may be surprised who comes out...2 of our newer gals were surprises. We had no idea they quilted!! We don't have any set criteria for what is worked on. Some work on quilts, some on pillow cases, some on gift or charity projects, but everyone enjoys the companionship.

Have fun!!!!

Patti

Have fun with it.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Grammie Sharon - I sent you a private message inviting you to join us at this month's quilting group In Bloomfield Hills, MI. You aren't too far from us, so come on down on October 18 from 9 to noon. See your private message....

jraff -
Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 AM

Well I approached one of the assistants at our church yesterday when she called me about being on another committee. She thought it would be a great idea but I have to talk to someone else on Friday and then present it to our priest. Say some prayers and keep your fingers crossed. I've been trying to come up with a name. Our church is called St John & Paul and I was trying to come up with something that began with SJP. This is my first thought. Sharing talents, Joining together, Praying hands ministry. Of course I would like to present it to whomever would show up. Well at least it's a start. Thanks for your encouragement and I'll keep you posted.