• Main
  • stash organization - I've got it all! >
  • stash organization - I've got it all!

• stash organization - I've got it all!

Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by danmar
    Originally Posted by Gerbie
    All together now ready set P U S H >>>>>>>>>>
    Just think of jumpin into the fabric folding like jumping into a pile of fall leaves and how good it will feel to get it all raked up again.
    I guess I missed something somewhere, but what are the comic boards and cake rounds? Are the pieces of cardboard or what?
    Yeah! I'm confused. And I agree with someone else's post on here, where did you find this info on what to get and how to organize it? What are the comic boards? Anyways....

You have alot of people who need to see what you are doing and how this is going to work out. We want to see the comic boards and cake rounds, and what are all the paper clips for???
    You need to get started so we can see the pictures. Push, nudge, push.
    All those things are things others have used to get their stash in order. Must be spring cleaning time.
    The cake boards are 13 x 19 coated corrugated cardboard that can be cut just like the coloroplast plastic boards. They come from joanns for about $5.99 each set of 6 or on sale or coupon for $3.60 a set of 6. Cut into 4 boards each you get 24 for that $3.60.
    Some use the comic book boards. I asked in the hobby shop and they told me about the comic book store! They are a flat acid free cardboard that are 7 x 10.5. Cut in half 7 x 5.25. A good size for a yard or less of fabric that will stand up nicely. They can be used whole also. I think they are a little heavier than poster board and cost $8 for 100 or 200 cut in half. They just keep the fabric standing up like in the quilt store and not in a flat pile.
    The plastic or coated paper clips just hold the fabric on the board and are much cheaper than bolt buddies. The plastic or vinyl keeps then from marking the fabric. The old entertainment center is just a big shelf unit.
    All these things have been suggested by others getting their stash in order and I found them on my travels around town.
    Do a search for stash organization and you will see lots of pictures.
    Here's a good one with pictures.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43871-1.htm
    HTH

:-D
    Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 AM

DGD and I just started this project. I am using Acid free Mat Boards that I have had setting around in a corner collecting dust for at least 10 years. Along with all the fabrics we have purchased, there are fabrics from my mothers and from friends who have given up quilting. Every time we work on a project these fabrics just get more jumbled. There is just tooooooooo much confussion when trying to select fabric to work with. We have put EVERYTHING on hold until we get our fabrics more managable. So far we have wrapped over 100 fabrics and filled one book shelf. There are still a lot of fabrics to handle and I do have a built in storage cabinet in sewing room about 10' x 8'. Fabrics get so jumbled in there that we forget we even have them. One thing I have discovered while working on this project is that it is much easier to find a new home for some of the fabrics that I have had for years and know that I will not even want to use them now. (I use to make a lot of my clothes) I don't even feel any pain when I put them in a bag to go to their new home. Right now I have a stack of fabrics that are thrown on the floor and looks like a great big mess, BUT I also have a book shelf of very accessible fabrics and just the thought that GD and I can have ALL of our fabrics like this, keeps us going. When our summer days get to be 90 + and too uncomfortable for us to want to be outside, we will be in our well organized sewing room with the comfort of the A/C AND our sewing machines will be humming!!!!!!!!!! So take the plunge along with us!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 AM

Nudge!! Put on a audio book and listen while you fold. The time will go by quickly. Or if you are more music oriented try some old rock and dance your way done. :-)
    Old 05-03-2010, 04:50 AM

This hint isn't about stash orgainzing, but it is a real find for me. My daughter got a bunch of stuff from a friend for a garage sale and there was one of those tall metal magazine rack like you see at doctors offices. I have just the perfect place for it and it holds SOOOOOO many magazines. I think I will keep the latest 3 or 4 of ea in this before I rotate them to the bookshelf. Great item to look for at thrift stores!
    Old 05-03-2010, 04:58 AM

I need to know where did you buy the plastic paper clips and are they th 3" ones. I've bought 350 comic book cards, already have the fabric on them and no clips. I still have my seasonal fabric in 5 tubs so maybe another 400 boards. I got so excited once I started folding fabric and seeing how neat the room was going to be I couldn't sleep.

I have before pics and once finished I will post this room was a MESS.
    Old 05-03-2010, 05:13 AM

Location: Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Just had to say hey to someone from western pa. Lived there all my life. Husband and I moved to Houston Tx. after retirement. One or two day quilting is now daily. I could join a quilting group everyday and evening of the week. Good city for an avid quilter. I now do a lot of machine piecing and pay to have my bed quilts quilted. In Pittsburgh all was hand piecing and hand quilting. I still prefer this and always have a piecing and quilting project in progress, but you have to do what the groups I belong to do. Hope I did not bother you with my chatter, but I guess I just needed to chat with someone from my Home. Houston is just where I live, Pittsburgh will always be my home. Get quilting girl!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-38042.jpe  
    Old 05-03-2010, 05:52 AM

Sometimes when I cannot get motivated, I treat it like doing dishes. I jump right in there and get started and try not to think about it. Soon the job is done. Seriously, when I go through my stash, it is like visiting old friends, where I got them, who I was with and the good times we had. I also treat it like Christmas, you never know if the quilt gnome left you anything.
    Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
    I need to know where did you buy the plastic paper clips and are they th 3" ones. I've bought 350 comic book cards, already have the fabric on them and no clips. I still have my seasonal fabric in 5 tubs so maybe another 400 boards. I got so excited once I started folding fabric and seeing how neat the room was going to be I couldn't sleep.

I have before pics and once finished I will post this room was a MESS.
    I got the boxes of plastic paper clips at Walmart. They come in 100 per soft plastic container and are yellow, orange, green and blue. $1.88 per box. They are 1 1/2 inch long by 3/4 inch wide. It has "plastic paper clips" written on the box. look in office supplies or school supplies. They are more kind of a triangle shape. Look cheap but seem to work for what I want them for. The big vinyl ones are from CVS drugstore and look just like a big metal paper clip but are vinyl covered. I will use them for the bigger boards with more fabric.

hth
    Old 05-03-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    This hint isn't about stash orgainzing, but it is a real find for me. My daughter got a bunch of stuff from a friend for a garage sale and there was one of those tall metal magazine rack like you see at doctors offices. I have just the perfect place for it and it holds SOOOOOO many magazines. I think I will keep the latest 3 or 4 of ea in this before I rotate them to the bookshelf. Great item to look for at thrift stores!
    If this is what I am thinking you could also use a tall skinny fabric board and use it for fabric storage. I don't really have many magazines.
    Old 05-03-2010, 06:32 AM

This thread is great ! I hope to FINALLY get organized soon! Be SURE to send us before and after pictures!