Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Steady Betty? >

Steady Betty?

Steady Betty?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
At that price, it had better work well. Very well.

Buy it half priced or buy one and get one free.
I used a 50% off coupon from JoAnns to buy it to try it out and bought another one when the next 50% coupon showed up. That is the same as buy one get one free. I have two so the dirty one is going in the dishwasher, it may work or it may not. I'll find out. I'll wash the free one first. LOLOLOL
Old 04-01-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
Apparently along with not being able to keep a 1/4 inch seam, I can't press properly either. After I pressed my blocks they seemed to have grown. Not all over just on the corners.
I was wondering if a Steady Betty would help. They are kinda pricey but with a coupon it wouldn't be too bad. What do you that have one think?
I use a piece of headliner (like in the roof of a car) and it works perfectly. You can get it at Joann's for around $12 per yard. Get with a couple of other gals and split it up. You only need a piece about 12 x 12. It's much cheaper than SB.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM

Default Steady Betty

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
Apparently along with not being able to keep a 1/4 inch seam, I can't press properly either. After I pressed my blocks they seemed to have grown. Not all over just on the corners.
I was wondering if a Steady Betty would help. They are kinda pricey but with a coupon it wouldn't be too bad. What do you that have one think?
I hate to think quilters are open to the next clever money making idea,but I too have bought rulers etc. that with a little thought are no better than my basic rulers.They say 'don't teach Grandma to suck eggs ' Press, don't iron is a simple , and free rule.I guess if you can afford to spend,sped, spend,then o.k.otherwise save your cash to buy fabric -- there are so many practical ideas here on the board to avoid the latest gimmick.Love Letty.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jumpin' judy View Post
I use a piece of headliner (like in the roof of a car) and it works perfectly. You can get it at Joann's for around $12 per yard. Get with a couple of other gals and split it up. You only need a piece about 12 x 12. It's much cheaper than SB.

The headliner fabric I bought at a car body shop melted when I ironed it LOL. I was making a car pillow. The headliner fabric sold in fabric stores may be not the same headliner fabric used in vehicles. A new iron and wasted fabric cost more then the Steady Betty. Sometimes making do for less is a bad idea. I have learned to buy the product made for the job and that saves me frustration, time and money.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM

I have a Steady Betty and it does help, but I would say you can do without. First, as others have said, press not iron. This means you lift the iron up and down on the fabric, do not swipe the iron across the fabric. Second, I've discovered that a plain cotton duck cover on your ironing surface will hold the fabric as well as a Steady Betty, and it's much less expensive.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
Wow! Just looked at the site, very expensive. If you are just pressing apply pressure, if you are ironing use a light touch. Before I upset anyone, check out Jenny form MSQ. She irons but never stretches her blocks. I don't think I've ever seen her press.
I've totally noticed the same thing on Jenny's tutorials. She really moves that iron around, and uses steam. It's her SURFACE that doesn't move. I've found that a nice, firm ironing surface without a bunch of padding, and a covering like cotton duck is key. I use steam and love it, but that's personal preference. Also, let your piece COOL before picking it up, at least several seconds if you can't wait for it to cool completely. Also, starch.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 PM

I'm planning to purchase a Steady Betty, but had two questions. It appears that the 12 X 12 size may be more popular than the 16 X 16. Pricing aside, which would you recommend? I will not make blocks larger than 12 X 12, but wondered if a larger space would be more convenient. Secondly, what are your thoughts regarding the Pin and Press option?
Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by newBe View Post
I'm planning to purchase a Steady Betty, but had two questions. It appears that the 12 X 12 size may be more popular than the 16 X 16. Pricing aside, which would you recommend? I will not make blocks larger than 12 X 12, but wondered if a larger space would be more convenient. Secondly, what are your thoughts regarding the Pin and Press option?
I don't know yet if I'm going to buy one but if I do I'll get the 16x16. I think I'll try some of the pressing suggestions first.