Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Steam Iron >

Steam Iron

Steam Iron

Old 09-10-2017, 04:04 AM

I too do not like the Rowneta's either - expensive and don't last any time at all; have had a couple. I received an Oliso as a Christmas gift that I really like - but didn't take any time at all and it quit steaming too. (sigh) I now have a Panasonic cordless, so far so good. Guess my next one will be a cheapo off the shelf too.
At one time I had a Black and Decker; it was great; but had a lightning hit and took out an array of electrical items - unfortunately that iron was one to go. Good luck on your search.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:27 AM

I have a Proctor Silex that I've had for a lot of years. It has a spray and a steam function and I use tap water in it. I also have a water softener so don't know if that's an important part of it's long existence or not. I remember running vinegar water through it at some point--like we do for coffee makers--when I thought it was getting a little sluggish on steam. No automatic shut-off but I'd think would be a problem for those of us who want instant heat when we want to press.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 AM

I have had a Rowenta and a Reliable Velocity and both have lasted about 3 years apiece. Never again. The Rowenta leaked and the Reliable quite heating, even using distilled water. I have since gone back to my Black and Decker Digital Advantage and don't put water in it. Like others, I will replace this with another B & D when this one dies.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:16 AM

I have a cordless Panasonic which I got for Christmas last year so I don't know the price but it works great both with and without steam. I still have my old reliable B&D which must be at least 40 years old. If that gives out, I'll probably buy another one at WalMart. I can't see paying so much money for expensive irons that don't last.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:22 AM

I bought a real expensive iron years ago because I was tired of the irons dying. The expensive one lasted about 2 weeks after the warranty and then died.

Since then, I've had 2 Black and Decker from Walmart. The last one I bought about 4 years ago for $20. It's still going strong and I use straight tap water for the steam with no problems. I figure I can buy a new cheap iron every few years and still come out ahead of buying an expensive one.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
Just wanted to see what everyone's favorite steam iron is. I had had two Rowenta's which leaked, heavy and expensive. I have spent to much money trying to find a good reliable steam iron! Thanks for all suggestions!
I have bought two regular sized irons in my life. The fist one was a Black and Decker that lasted 25 years, and the one I have now that is an inexpensive Sunbeam I bought from Walmart 11 years ago. I am a cheap old broad and if I don't have to spend a dime, I won't. They have both worked perfectly for me. (I do use distilled water only in them, and that may be why they last so long.)
Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
I caved and bought an Oliso and I love it.
I am the complete opposite mine leaked like no other and not as hot as my Rowenta so caved andbought another Rowenta. I am also the oddball that loves my Rowenta and steam
Old 09-10-2017, 11:49 AM

I'vd had 2 Rowenta's and both leaked really bad. No more.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:16 PM

My Rowenta iron leaks on and off - very disappointing - and I've taken good care of it too.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:31 PM

After buying several steam and all not hot enough. I purchased an Oliso and am very very happy with it! It surpasses all the others. Plus I can lay it down and don't need to worry about scorching.