Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steam Iron ?

Steam Iron ?

This is probably going to show my stupidity but , I have never used a steam iron but I wanted to try it so I bought a new Shark Professional. I used it a couple days without water and then today I put water in it and tried to get wrinkles out of my fabric. My problem is, the water is coming out of the back of the sole plate, and enough so it has wet my ironing pad and a small pad I scurried to get to contain the water.

Did I do something wrong? I read the instructions twice before I used steam. Or is this a common problem.
    So much fabric, so little time.

i also have a shark i tried water and it leaked also ijust use dry and a spitz of startch is i need or i use a wet wash cloth over the seams

haven`t found an iron yet that doesn`t leak!
    Gale

The Reliable Digital Velocity irons do not leak, and they have the best steam I've found in a steam iron.

Did you check to make sure you put the right type of water, some types can ruin the seal. My brother put distilled water in my Rowenta and ruined it
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    The Reliable Digital Velocity irons do not leak, and they have the best steam I've found in a steam iron.
    I heartily second this recommendation.

A brand new iron - I'd say it's defective. Return it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
    I agree.

Cari

Blog Entries
    It's defective. If you are still within the return period, definitely return it.

Thanks back it goes. I will look into a Reliable Digital Velocity irons. I'm assuming that's the name of the iron.

So much fabric, so little time.

Never put water in my irons...i use a spray bottom filled w/water when i need to remove wrinkles..

Blog Entries
    yes, return it but I too, use spray to mist my fabrics and press. got tired of having to 'clean" the iron out. as directed.

I have a Shark professional, also, and it has never leaked at all. I really like mine a lot. I bought mine about 3 years ago, so they may be different by now or sometimes you can just get a lemon, unfortunately. Hopefully, you can return it for a refund. I think it so hard to find an iron you like.

Take it back, my Shark Professsional doesn't leak a bit. At first I didn't like it because it was so heavy, now I love it because it IS so heavy. Leaking is a manufacturing flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
    Never put water in my irons...i use a spray bottom filled w/water when i need to remove wrinkles..
    This is what I do also. We have hard water.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
    Agree here, too. That being said, I always just buy a $25-30 SunBeam and they always seem to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Did you check to make sure you put the right type of water, some types can ruin the seal. My brother put distilled water in my Rowenta and ruined it
    I agree with a) returning the (apparently) defective iron and also with Dolphyngyrl about using the 'correct' water. Read your instructions. My Rowenta requires distilled water. Some Rowenta's do and some don't so it's very important to read the instructions for any iron. I have another brand (sorry - don't recall which) iron which also requires distilled water.

I never use steam, I just use a spray bottle.

I'd return it for sure. I have a Rowenta and it leaks, frustrating. Bought a Sunbeam and haven't used the steam but frustrated with it cause the cord is not in the middle but on the right side, and I'm left handed; didn't realize it and now it's too late. Would love to have an iron that is lightweight too.

I use a Black & Decker Classic. It doesn't leak. It has a little weight to it too. My mom used to use the same type of iron, but was made by someone else then. It's a classic!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I replaced my iron years ago with a Rowenta. The draw was that I could use tap water in it. The only way I can get it not to leak is to use spring water. I tried distill and tap water and was unsuccessful. You might try different waters, and if that didn't work I would definitely return it.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
    This is probably going to show my stupidity but , I have never used a steam iron but I wanted to try it so I bought a new Shark Professional. I used it a couple days without water and then today I put water in it and tried to get wrinkles out of my fabric. My problem is, the water is coming out of the back of the sole plate, and enough so it has wet my ironing pad and a small pad I scurried to get to contain the water.

Did I do something wrong? I read the instructions twice before I used steam. Or is this a common problem.
    I'd return it. I have never had a brand new iron that has leaked. I have found you should never leave water in your iron after you have turned it off. I have a Rowenta, I love it, and never leave water in it. You also have to use spring water and no other kind.

It does sound like it is defective, but one thing I know will make an iron leak and that is putting water in that goes over the water line.

I just got the Panasonic 360 iron and LOVE it!! It's cordless which is great and the water reservoir comes out. It steams a lot or you can select less steam or no steam at all. I can see it would not be good for ironing clothes (who does that anyway??) but for quilting it's great. So far no leaking and don't see how it could unless you cracked the water tank which is plastic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I agree with Dunster! Best iron I have ever owned.

I looked up that Reliable Digital Velocity iron and it's really pricey. I'm not into expensive irons anymore ever since my Rowenta acted up.
    I'm still looking for a good iron w/o the huge price tag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast