Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To steam or not to steam................ >

To steam or not to steam................

To steam or not to steam................

Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 PM

no steam...ever...if I have wrinkles I have the old fashion spray bottle of water and just press not push....
Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 PM

I use steam until the water in the iron runs out. Sometimes it's too much trouble to walk the 5 feet to the bathroom to get some water (LOL).

Pat
Old 03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
JAK

Thanks everyone for your tricks of the trade. I think I may try the spray bottle also. I need to be more careful about not ironing and pressing instead. Old habits die hard after ironing for so many years I guess :) Thanks again...this site is so very helpful!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:25 AM

Yes, there is a difference between pressing and ironing!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
Originally Posted by JAK
I am a new quilter of only about 3 months. I have read numerous articles, books, Youtube tutorials and most generally they have all said not to use steam when pressing seams/squares as it can stretch fabric. I started a quilting class this week and instructor says to steam. Just wondering what most of you more experienced quilters prefer.
I always use steam, but I am very careful to PRESS, not Iron. It is the moving of the iron across the fabric that stretches it - my opinion
Agree with this one. It's what I do too. I do see a difference in my fabrics using steam, and I like them this way. Also, if there are bad wrinkles, then I use Magic Sizing. I enjoy the body it gives the fabrics, and makes it so much easier to get good cuts. But, again, it's press, not iron :)

Most of the books advised not to 'iron' because people didn't understand not to stretch the fabric. Once it became better known to 'press' not 'iron', then I think more people understood they could press without a problem. Just don't stretch the fabric...and I think many times this is what the books refer too (and it keeps their projects easy to do/correct if you haven't stretched your fabric out of shape).
Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 AM

I start out with steam and end up with no steam. I use starch so i don't see any real difference in it.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I use spray starch and no steam. It is all a personal choice.
There is really no right or wrong:)
I use spray starch also. I have always used steam, but I found that the spray gets out hard wrinkles that steam can't and I really like the crisp feel of the fabric. I found some non-aerosol, bio-degradable starch that doesn't clog the nozzle and it's good for the enviroment as well.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:32 AM

I don't use steam, but to be honest I have forgotten and pressed with the steam function on and never had any distortion that I could notice. I think I get a crisper flatter result if I press with steam and a little bit of Best Press though. I also keep a bottle of water by my ironing board for wrinkles that won't come out.

The biggest habit that has been helpful to me is pressing not ironing - as many other ladies have mentioned. I generally open seams with my fingers first and use my nail to sort of create a "guide" for pressing. You can also buy a little wooden pressing stick from the craft store for a few bucks...I use that when I'm making something with a lot of seams so I don't have to keep getting up and going to the ironing board. Like this pineapple quilt I'm currently working on, I usually finish the entire block and just use my wooden pressing stick and then take it to the ironing board and press with a little bit of Best Press.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 AM

If you can find one of those wooden rollers used for pressing the seams of wallpaper, they work wonderfully for pressing seams. I use it on short seams and save pressing for the finished or long seams. With or without steam depends on the block. And my mood.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
30 years quilting, teaching, designing. My opinion is that it isn't the steam which distorts, it's the 'presser'. I always use steam, high heat, and a pressing-not ironing motion.

Jan in VA
I agree Jan, you can 'press' with steam or you can iron with steam. Ironing with steam distorts fabric because we tend to pull on it. Sit your steam iron on the seam you wish to press, then lift. Thats the secret. Hope this helps!