Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To steam or not to steam? >

To steam or not to steam?

To steam or not to steam?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:50 AM

It depends on what I'm working on. If I have something with a lot of bias edges then I'll skip the steam because steam is more likely to distort bias edge. I will also use starch on the fabric before I cut something with a bias edge. If it's just routine squares and such then steam does give a more crisp press to the seam.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:51 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I guess I am in the minority. Dry iron only...water can rot out the insides of the iron (that's why they leak often) especially if you use tap water or highly mineralized water (learned this from a long time tailor). I don't use starch because starch can attract bugs (moths and carpet beetles) which can damage fabrics on stored quilts. (If you wash the quilt when it is finished, you do remove the starch, but then how do you get the crisp look back without starch?) This is just my opinion...

Anita
Using a dry iron and a spray bottle gives me much better control over the area I'm ironing. Steam moistens a much larger area than I'm working on and over time can distort the piecing.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:11 AM

I do not use water in my iron. I got tired of it spitting all over the place. I usually start with no moisture, but if I have a rebellious seam, or fabric that I am ironing, my big spray bottle is close at hand. If I have fabric that seems flimsy, or I am working with bias, I use starch that I mix liquid starch and water in a second spray bottle.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:21 AM

I never use steam. For me, I always seem to have something stretch when I use steam. So keep the starch bottle handy and when there is a real problem, I use the starch.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:50 AM

I use steam, but do not slide the iron, just press with steam. Holds the seams better than dry ironing, but does take longer to get done. Only use distilled water in my iron, haven't any leakages happen.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Very personal preference. I read where Eleanor Burns loves steam and her son that quilts hates steam. So I guess whatever you find you like the best with the results you want. I stopped using steam, don't notice a difference.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:57 AM

I prefer steam and use some spray. I like what Marianne Fons said when asked that question. She said something like "we put water in the iron and use steam until it runs out and then use the dry iron until one of us fills it again."
Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 AM

I haven't read all the responses but want to tell you what I saw last week. I was watching The Fins and Porter Show. The daughter asked her mom this question and then answered for her mom. Seems mom "uses steam until the iron runs out of water, then she dry irons"..... LOL What a hoot.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
Absolutely, I couldn't live without my steam. About the only time that I use a dry iron is when ironing on freezer paper. I love steam and I love Mary Ellen's starch.
I'm with you! Steam and Mary Ellen's Best Press!
Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM

Personal preference - steam!