Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stiff quilts >

stiff quilts

stiff quilts

Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM

My quilts are always real stiff from starching heavily when piecing, which makes it less problem to machine quilt on my home machine, and when I am finished, I always launder them to soften, and remove all of the starch. Also, if I have any spots that are not well done, I know before I gift it, so I can give them with confidence. I washed a table runner for a swap on this board and did not realize that the whole first bobbin (which was not labeled) was filled with wash away thread! I was so glad I learned that before the giftee did! : D
Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Is it too much starching?
Old 11-11-2013, 04:16 PM

I quilted a quilt with "modern", heavy, close quilting and used a "Frankenstein" batting where I pieced cotton and Dream Green batting together with a zigzag stitch..washed the quilt to get rid of my markings and it is so very soft and cuddly! Washed all the fabrics prior to piecing...don't think it is your quilting...batting shouldn't be a problem...the ladies may be right, it might be the backing fabric. Frustrating!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 AM

For the first time I just quilted a quilt using Quilter's Dream Orient batting. It seems to be the best I've used yet. It isn't stiff. I tried to not to over quilt it as that's what I seem to do most of the time. I will definitely be using this batting again.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:55 AM

How "stiff" is your backing? I just finished a quilt...and didn't realize how stiff the backing is (actual quilt backing fabric...) with luck...it will soften up when washed!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 AM

These are all good things to think about. I noticed the same thing when I used antique embroidered squares to make the centers for modern log cabins. The quilting was a rather large meander and the batting was poly. The dang thing was as stiff as a board. I couldn't wash it because it was a gift for a dying friend and there was no time to try and experiment with softening it. I've not forgotten that experience and been fearful of having it happen again. I do think a small cool wash might have made a difference but, as I say...no time and if the embroidered blocks had bled or whatever, it would have been a catastrophe.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
Having read the above posts I did not hear from anyone that it might be the backing fabric. So I will toss that suggestion in. As a professional longarm quilter I quilt many quilts in a year's time and only occasionally run into one that seems stiff after quilting. I use Hobbs batting, either poly or 80/20 and sometimes do dense quilting on a top. Even the dense quilted ones are soft and cuddly unless a stiff fabric has been used, usually as the backing. I have ran in to some wide backings that even after being washed they are still stiff.
Years ago, I used unbleached muslin backing on every quilt. Those quilts were never stiff. It is only since I switched to the newer backing fabrics that my quilts sometimes seem stiff. I am not sure of the answer either, but do think that stitching so close adds to the stiffness.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Quilting to tight .....
Old 11-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I switched from W&N to Quilter's Dream cotton and have been much happier with the softness. .
i read an account of an interview with Harriet Hargrave, which quoted her as saying that W&N was originally window shade insulation. I can believe that, based on how it feels. I bought a small size at Joann's with a coupon, quilted it pretty far apart, and it felt like a potholder, at least to me.

Charlotte
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 PM

I also agree with this statement.I have hand quilted and machine quilted quilts and use 80/20 ,cotton, poly, warm and natural, hobbs and even batting from wal-mart and only one time had a quilt a little stiff, and I know the backing fabric was stiff when I started and stiffer when I finished.That is a lesson I learned the hard way.Never again will I use a stiff fabric!
Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
Having read the above posts I did not hear from anyone that it might be the backing fabric. So I will toss that suggestion in. As a professional longarm quilter I quilt mementany quilts in a year's time and only occasionally run into one that seems stiff after quilting. I use Hobbs batting, either poly or 80/20 and sometimes do dense quilting on a top. Even the dense quilted ones are soft and cuddly unless a stiff fabric has been used, usually as the backing. I have ran in to some wide backings that even after being washed they are still stiff.