Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stippling...

Banned
    Okay. Can you use it without a darning foot or is it totally important to use one. Or can you use a I think, close toed foot?? Can you do it on any machine? I have a 23 yr old singer, a 3 yr old singer and my moms elna. My moms is sort of dismantled, but which would I want to use?
    Thanks
    Emily

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    You can probably use a different foot but the darning will give you the best result because you can see where you are going. I don't think the darning foot goes down as far so it doesn't have as much pressure. I'd check on the price of purchasing one.

More important than the foot is be sure you are dropping your feed dogs for free motion. They will pull the underside in one direction and you may be trying to pull it in another direction. If they don't drop you can tape a piece of sturdy plastic over them.

I don't think there's a different way than with a darning foot and lowering/covering (whichever your machine does) the feed dogs. It "bounces" because of the bar going over the needle screw. It tamps the fabric every time the needle goes down, but allows to move the quilt freely in all directions.

It's a fun technique. It's actually how I got my daughter comfortable with a sewing machine. Fabric with scrap batting between and said, "Do this." She had a ball.

I have just mastered the art of stippling. Here are my tips -
    lower feed dogs
    set stitch length to 0
    if you have option set needle in down position - it prevents unwanted movement when you stop
    I did some research and found that it helps to tape a piece of non stick teflon to the machine (cut hole for needle) - it improves the ability to move smoothly. This is sometimes sold as "craft sheets".
    Also - watch your tension - I found that bobbin fill works best for your underneath thread.
    Good luck

Thanks for posting this question Quilter101, it has been helpful to me too, I am trying to get up the nerve to do free motion quilting soon. Thanks all for the tips.

I use and open toe foot, drop the feed dogs and w/my machine speed consistancy seems to make my threads the same:))(for practice)Take an old magazine...use a bold smooth marker...and, hold the top end and draw endless puzzle pieces...which make the stippling. Until you gain the design and confidence just keep flipp'n pages and doodle:))You will enjoy! I had a friend over the other day and took 2 pieces of scap fabric w/batting and let her practice. She picked it right up as you will!! Keep us posted-Skeat

Banned
    Thanks so much!

I have used both an open toe and a closed toe darning foot. I prefer the open toe foot. The feed dogs are lowered so the quilt moves freely :)

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
    Thanks for posting this question Quilter101, it has been helpful to me too, I am trying to get up the nerve to do free motion quilting soon. Thanks all for the tips.
    Yes, thanks for the question. I am learning from it too! Great tips. :D

I've been practicing free-motion quilting for a while. My biggest problem seems to be keeping my stitche fairly even. I do pretty well practicing on small pieces, but when I try larger quilt size pieces, I have too much trouble moving the piece evenly. Any suggestions? :?

Janny, I just experimented on a quilt for my dad:))Poor guy:))I found the faster I went, the tighter the stitches...slower made larger. Try this out on your practice piece and see if I am right. Machines do have regulators you can buy...but, I keep putting my money in more fabric instead:))If you can notice an obv. difference in the stitches by speed...then you know where to work....you feet:))LOL That is just a suggestion other then 'breathe'!!:))And, relax...Skeat

Blog Entries
    Keep in mind that you don't have to go fast...just at a steady smooth speed...and that is whatever is comfortable for you. I started on my old, old, old, Singer and got fairly comfortable with it. Now I'm learning all over again with my Bernina and the stitch regulator. I hate to admit that I'm much more comfortable stippling on my old Singer than my new machine. :oops: