Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stitch in the Ditch Ruler?

Blog Entries

Stitch in the Ditch Ruler?

I just purchased a stitch in the ditch ruler--half price plus 25% off. So, the price was right, but does it help when you quilt on a regular machine? Thoughts? Opinions?

A stitch in the ditch foot on my machine is much more helpful than any ruler, IMO. I've never needed a ruler for SITD.

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of a SITD ruler so I googled it. Looks like it is used mainly with longarms. I don't have a long arm but when I SITD on my machine, I use my SITD foot or if I'm too lazy to change feet, I just slow down my machine when stitching.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I've never seen that ruler. Can't think how it would be used. Long Arm machine?
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of a ruler either, but I don't own a SITD foot either. If I have to SITD, which I only do if I absolutely must, I sew verrrry slowly.

eta: I looked at it on google. I think that it might be helpful when free motion quilting. I never do that though.

QKO
    Yup, SITD rulers are a longarmers tool. If you're FMQ, just go slow and look ahead of where you're stiching, not at the needle.

(Don - who just spent a good part of the day doing SITD)

Power Poster
    I had an extra thick ruler made for FMQ with my Bernina. I was working on a star quilt that I wanted to outline the stars and stipple in the background. I just can't FMQ a straight line but I can use my ruler to do so. It is a little tricky but I hold my ruler down on my quilt surface with half of my hand on the ruler and half on the quilt. My Machingers gloves keep everything from slipping. I managed to get my whole quilt done and it worked better than trying to FMQ straight lines without it.
    I use my walking foot for sewing straight lines if possible but it is easier to FMQ straight lines than constantly turn the quilt to maneuver around a star.

I have a stitch in the ditch ruler for my longarm have never used it on my DSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
    I just purchased a stitch in the ditch ruler--half price plus 25% off. So, the price was right, but does it help when you quilt on a regular machine? Thoughts? Opinions?
    What does this ruler do for you that you can't do for yourself?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

When SITD is what the quilt really needs and I can't think of a way to avoid it, the ruler helps. With the stitch regulator on I can sew a few stitches, guiding the machine with one hand and the ruler wth the other. Move the ruler forward and do a few more stitches. Laborious. The ruler holds the seam open and the foot of the machine from wandering off the ditch. LONGARM ONLY. There's much easier ways to do SITD on a domestic machine.

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of a SITD ruler. Is it for LAM? or what? More description please.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    When SITD is what the quilt really needs and I can't think of a way to avoid it, the ruler helps. With the stitch regulator on I can sew a few stitches, guiding the machine with one hand and the ruler wth the other. Move the ruler forward and do a few more stitches. Laborious. The ruler holds the seam open and the foot of the machine from wandering off the ditch. LONGARM ONLY. There's much easier ways to do SITD on a domestic machine.
    Oh, you are just using it for a straight edge? A school ruler would do just as well, wouldn't it?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I tend to avoid stitch in the ditch, because I can't ever seem to do it without wandering in and out of the ditch. But when I do need to do it, I use a stitch in the ditch foot with a guide up the center, which works quite well, I can't imagine trying to handle the quilt and a ruler on a domestic machine. There must be an easier way!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Power Poster
    Not sure if I would like one..I would have to see it in action.

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of a SITD Ruler. I wonder what it does. I use my SITD presser foot. No guesswork. Really easy.

After seeing a demonstration of a straight ruler on a long arm, I ordered one (and a curved one because, why not?). It's 1/4 inch thick, and is designed to slide along side the hopping foot. I am really good at doing SID with my DSM, but I couldn't do free motion on it to save my life, whereas on the long arm, my free motion looks good, but I can't keep it steady enough to do SID to my satisfaction. I'm hoping the ruler will give me some stability. At least, it seemed to in the demonstration. She even showed us how to use a straight ruler to give stability when doing curves so it didn't look "jumpy", but I want to try baptist fans so I went ahead and ordered a curved one too.

Grannie Annie, my understanding is that a regular school ruler wouldn't work for a long arm because it's not thick enough and could slide under the hopping foot.

Blog Entries
    There's a ruler called the line tamer. It's made for longarms machines for stitch in the ditch