Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the ditch >

Stitch in the ditch

Stitch in the ditch

Old 10-21-2011, 02:59 PM

I use invisible thread as the top thread when doing SID and cotton thread on the bobbin- usually matching the backing. My top SID is almost impossible to see so my imperfect stitching is not noticible. I have tried invisible thread with FMQ but do not like it. i
Old 10-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
Are there any SID feet or attachments that work with a walking foot?? I have a SID foot but it is a regular foot and I want to use my walking foot for doing the quilting.
I don't know what is the latest stuff on the market, but I doubt that there's a combination SID/walking foot. I think you have to choose to use one or the other. Some of the new machines do not need a walking foot ... they have Accufeed or dual feed; I'm guessing you can use a SID foot on one of those.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I use invisible thread as the top thread when doing SID and cotton thread on the bobbin- usually matching the backing. My top SID is almost impossible to see so my imperfect stitching is not noticible. I have tried invisible thread with FMQ but do not like it. i
I will keep that in mind. I realize not every quilt lends itself well to SID, but most of them do. I really like to do that first; it makes my quilt so much more secure for all the other stitching I like to do. I'm almost finished a top that is mostly a dark plum and I am going to do SID in dark plum, but if I'm not happy with it, I'll try my smoke colored invisible thread on the top.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
Are there any SID feet or attachments that work with a walking foot?? I have a SID foot but it is a regular foot and I want to use my walking foot for doing the quilting.
What kind of machine do you have? Bernina offers a walking foot with a stitch in the ditch sole. I just got it and it looks exactly like the #10 edge stitch foot, but attaches to the walking foot.

I believe, but am not sure (I don't have one) that Viking has something similar. I can't remember if that was the other company or not...
Old 10-21-2011, 03:32 PM

I just got a Babylock Espire (it is like a Symphony I believe). I haven't had a chance yet to play with it much. I believe the LQS said that my machine has dual feed so you don't really need a walking foot. Why does it come with one then?? I'll have to play with it a bit to see. My SID foot is for my Janome (it is a clear wide foot that you can screw on a side bar that will do a 1/4 inch seam and then another different bar that will stick out front and is for SID. I would like to use this on my Janome.

Are feet interchangable with other brands??