Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the ditch >

Stitch in the ditch

Stitch in the ditch

Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 PM

I use both a 2.5 and a 3.0, just depends on the project. A true stitch in the ditch is exactly on the seam , so it "disappears " in the loft of the quilt. I usually use invisable thread either the clear or the smoke ( for darker fabrics) color depending on the project. If you are getting a bit of gathering loosen the top tension, especially if you are using the invisable thread. Also you should be using a top stitch needle. I have done a few projects that i did stich in the ditch with a metallic thread to highlight each 1 inch square. Still not sure if that was really worth the effort.
Some have the opinion that if you stitch exactly on the seam it could damage the threads in the seam. I have been Stiching in the ditch for 15 years and have never had any issue with seam damage.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 PM

I have a question too about Stitch in the Ditch. Do you have to stitch in the seam or can you stitch a thread-width outside the seam? Maybe that technique would be called Stitch along the Ditch ??
Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Earleen
I have used the stitch in the ditch on my recent log cabin blocks done in the Cotton theory method. Only I used what Betty calls a wobble stitch! It is like a zig zag and I would need to switch on my machine to tell you the exact stitch length and width if you are interested in trying this method. It works great because it hits both sides of the seam.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Google Goddess

wow, thanks everyone, good topic and comments
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM

Would like to know the stitch you call wobble. I have a Viking#1 :-)
Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs Cotton Theory
Earleen
I have used the stitch in the ditch on my recent log cabin blocks done in the Cotton theory method. Only I used what Betty calls a wobble stitch! It is like a zig zag and I would need to switch on my machine to tell you the exact stitch length and width if you are interested in trying this method. It works great because it hits both sides of the seam.
I would be interested in that stitch also. It might solve my problem. I don't like using the invisible thread ... I have problems with breakage as I am sewing so I have concerns about the quilt falling apart at some point in time with that thread. I would like to sew it with regular thread.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

i tend to lengthen the stitch to accommodate the extra bulk of the batting. The default stitch is set for sewing two pieces of fabric. So, lengthen a bit will accommodate the extra layers. Stitch in the ditch is usually thought to be almost invisible and just give dimension to the area it is stitched around.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:59 PM

I have gone up to 3.5 stitch length and like it.
Stitch in the ditch is not on top of the seam but next to it so that the fold of fabric covers the stitchs.
Not easy when some folds are going the opposite way of others.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I use a little longer stitch. And a walking foot.