Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: stitch length

stitch length

In normal, walking foot quilting, I want my machine to be consistent with stitch length disregardless of speed. I am consistent in quilting, stitch-in-the ditch or echo quilting but must slow down to avoid mistakes and my stitches shrink from 3.00 (ish) to 1.5-2 or so. Is it the operator? Or would a more sophisticated machine solve this? I'm thinking of the Singer Quantum 9960 - good for a decent quilter like myself and online for $320.00 -- all the features I could want. But I must understand about my problem - thanks.

Mine does not do that without adjusting my length. But, I am not an expert, are you sure you aren't holding the material back somehow?
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Power Poster
    The only time my walking foot makes tiny stitches is when I forget to put the arm on the needle bar. It usually takes me increasing the stitch length several times that I inure out I forgot to put the bar on the right spot. If that isn't the problem, does your machine allow you to adjust the pressure on the foot? If so, decrease the foot pressure and see if that helps.

could also be a problem with your feed dogs. They are the stitch regulators of the DSM. The faster they move, the smaller the stitch and the slower they move the longer the stitch.

Mine does it too! I was wondering also if it's me or the machine; a Baby Lock Quilter's Dream.

Banned
    Is your walking foot a brand same as your machine or a generic foot. Also be sure you don't pull as indicated above. Let the foot do the walking... Don't drag the quilt behind the bus....or try to outrun the bus.

Does that only happen with your walking foot? Could your walking foot be the problem?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me when I find that happening I'm not supporting the quilt well or it is near a seam or other especially thick area.

Agreed - walking foot not installed properly and/or drag is what usually messes with my stitch length.

I had the same problem with my Viking. When I took it in (thinking it could be repaired), I was told the problem was the feed dog. Unfortunately, it could not be repaired and I ended up having to get a different machine.

This only happens to me if the machine has to go over a really thick spot.
    Penny

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The only time my walking foot isn't happy is if I have the stitch selection too small. I normally sew SID with 3mm and that provides a consistent stitch quality.

As for the Singer model you mentioned, there have been a lot of threads in assorted forums recently that it is a problematic machine that seems to only last a short time. I'd be very careful with Singer these days - not the quality it once was.

Try adjusting the amount of pressure on the foot. When I use my walking foot a have to increase or decrease the pressure depending on the batting.