Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch Regulator >

Stitch Regulator

Stitch Regulator

Old 05-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Smile Stitch Regulator

Does anyone on this board ever heard/have one of the Free Motion Assistant Stitch Regulator? It is on the web site allbrands.com and the price is $349. I checked out the tutes and it sure looks like it would be easy to use. You can free motion, but with a stitch regulator. I always have a hard time trying regulate my stitches so have just given up. Would love to know if anyone uses one. Thanks for any input you have.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

This might be helpful -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...nt-t48634.html
Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Me personally think you are better off saving your money and practicing. Many people think stitch regulators will automatically make them better FMQ but that just isn't so. There is nothing that practice won't help and with all the tutorials out there, I would spend my money on fabric. You can get a nice machine for the price of that thing. maybe try that Quilt along with sewcalgal to improve your FMQ skills. You can get machingers and a slider for about 30 bucks and believe me those really help. I have not tried the bobbin washer yet though so can't comment (http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/free...challenge.html)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 PM

I agree - spend your money on fabric, and spend a little more time practicing. I am not a professional FMQ by any means, but the more I practice, the easier it becomes and the better job I do. When I first took a class and started FMQ, I was so discouraged. I thought I would never learn, because it seemed so counter-intuitive to be moving the fabric under the needle, instead of the other way around. And, I was trying to do patterns that were just too complicated. Keep it simple at first - and practice, practice, practice... sometimes when I'm having trouble going to sleep, I practice meandering or doing simple patterns on the blankets. My DH thought that was weird at first, but he's gotten used to it!!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 AM

Well........ I have a stitch regulator and I love it. It improved my FMQing 100%. I had practiced alot and just was not getting it. Now I can FMQ. Your going to get a lot of different opinions. I just felt I needed to get on with it, I wanted to make quilts and felt I had wasted enough time.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM

I have one on my Baby Lock Jane but it had to be on a long arm frame. It cost me $500.
So far I only know of one domestic machine with a stitch regulator and thats Bernina.
If it is a fabric mover Ive heard they are not very good.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 05-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.