Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stitches per inch for stitch in the ditch quilting?

Question Stitches per inch for stitch in the ditch quilting?

How many stitches per inch should I use for stitch in the ditch quilting?

Thanks in advance!

Maddy

I don't change my setting for stitch in the ditch. I use the same 2.0 setting for all straight stitching, because it's the smallest stitch my seam ripper can easily get under in the unlikely (yeah, right!) event it gets used.

Blog Entries
    I have always enlarged my stitch for quilting so I would go up 2 or 3 places .size depends on the machine you are using. Each make of machine seems to have a different number.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    are you hand or machine quilting? often for machine people set their stitch length a little longer than what they piece with- for hand quilting it depends on you- size *length* is not as important as consistency- as long as the stitches are all the same size- top & bottom- it will look good; people's quilting gets smaller/better with time & lots of practice. it doesn't make a big difference if you are doing stitch in the ditch or fancy feathers in blocks- the stitches should all be consistent- as close to the same size as possible- what size that is depends on what YOU like
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use 3.0 on my Janome and the longest stitch on my White heavy duty. This longer stitch helps the quilt layers to go through with less resistence than with the smaller stitch. I do use a walking foot.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Power Poster
    I use my 'regular' length - which is 2.5 on the Pfaff - or a slightly longer length - which would be 3.0 on my Pfaff

If I do straight line quilting, not too often. I use a longer stitch than for piecing. About 2 and a 1/4
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I use a longer stitch when maching quilting. In my mind it is a little easier on the fabric and doesn't strain against the bulk fo the batting. This is my way of thinking so I can justify getting it done quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    I use 3.0 on my Janome and the longest stitch on my White heavy duty. This longer stitch helps the quilt layers to go through with less resistence than with the smaller stitch. I do use a walking foot.
    Ditto. Comes ut so much better than using a 2.0 or 2.5 stitch.