Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitching in the "ditch" question... >

Stitching in the "ditch" question...

Stitching in the "ditch" question...

Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 PM

Default Stitching in the "ditch" question...

Ok, I am almost done with my quilt top, it is a strip top with different sizes strips. Since I don't know how to do FMQ'ing yet (have my foot ordered to start learning), I am just going to stitch in the ditch. My question is, Do I go down each seam or can I do it every few inches? Also, do I sew, cut thread, line back up, sew, cut thread, line back up, etc? And I am assuming I still need to start in the middle, right?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

it depends on the batting you choose how close you have to quilt- some batts require quilting every 2" some allow up to 10" between quilting lines- and everything in between- so start with choosing a batting that allows you to quilt the distance apart you want- and also remember you have to stitch the same distance across-not just straight down each row- you need to cross too- as for cutting- that is up to you- some people reach the edge- pull the quilt out =re-align and start again leaving the threads connected along the edges- some people clip them at the end of each row.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM

The batting I have allows up to 10" between stitches, so I could skip seams and just sew up to every 10" if I chose, right?

And if I sew width wise, I also need to sew length wise the same...is that what you mean?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 PM

If your batting says you can stitch 10" apart, you should still consider what kind of use your quilt will have. If it is going to be washed frequently, I would stitch it closer - like 4" or so. My personal choice is not to stitch IN the ditch, but just beside it. This way if I wobble a bit, it doesn't show as much as when I wobble out of the ditch and onto the fabric. If you're not sure about stitching in the ditch or how far apart the quilting should be, just pick a spacing that you like and stitch that distance apart in straight lines. It will be wonderful what ever you decide.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Thanks! I am pinning the quilt top since it isn't huge...put ran out of pins so hubby is picking me up some then I hope to finish tonight, then onto the binding.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 AM

Another possibility is to stitch diagonally through the blocks, providing you have blocks set in even rows. I just eye ball it from corner to corner and it works pretty well. You could draw lines, but I never do. The nice thing about this is that at the end of the row, you leave the needle in the fabric, lift the presser foot, turn the quilt, and stitch a diagonal line through to the other side. You can actually do a whole quilt without having to cut threads at the ends of the rows. If this seems confusing, send me a PM and I will provide more details via some drawings.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 AM

I stitched every 4" to 4 1/2" depending on where the seams fell. I think it looks good and am pleased with it. I am going today to pick out binding fabric. I decided to go with a pink to make it pop a little...plus JoAnn's is having their Winter Warm Up Sale and hubby said I could get me a lamp. lol.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Stitch in the ditch is my least favorite thing to do, fmq is easier for me once I got the hang of it, just takes practice. I keep meaning to try stitching to the side of the ditch, but keep forgetting...next time! Best of luck to you!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

also use a walking/quilting foot. it helps the fabric go under the needle easier, no bunching up at the end of a long stitch. stitching in the ditch is actuall next to the sewn seam. or 1/4 away from them. your choice. good luck.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM

No walking foot to use...it is ordered though. It went pretty well without it though. Working on the binding at the moment.