Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolen quilt / Oklahoma

So sad. I cannot understand people who do this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by catzlaw
    I wish there was a photo of it, it would make things easier. I am offering a reward too...I forgot to mention. Thank you.
    Considering the story behind the quilt and the fact you are offering a reward, I think you stand a fair chance of getting at least one media outlet to fdo a "human interest" story based on it.

Put together a brief biography of your grandmother that highlights anything notable she did in her life and/or the reason she made such an impression on you. If you have a good picture of her, include a copy. Estimate the number of hours you spent creating that quilt. Give the name(s) of the police you had contact with, their professional number and whatever information they gave you. Talk about how this is irreplaceable and how your insurance company is (or isn't) handling it. Mention the reward. Do some research and see if other quilts in the area have also been stolen.

The purpose of this packet is to give to a reporter, which gives as much of the foundation for a report as possible. Ideally, all the reporter would have left to do is make a few calls to collect quotes.

Then look at your local media outlets (papers, TV, radio, etc). Figure out exactly which reporter at each outlet does stories like this; focus on reporters who write about family hardships, pets, neighbourhood issues, etc. Send your packet of information addressed to each reporter in care of the outlet they work for.

Include a cover letter that says why you believe your story might be a good one for this particular reporter to cover. You can mention other stories that reporter has done that somewhat resemble yours in some way (everyone loves to hear that their work has been noticed and appreciated).

Be sure to include your own contact telephone numbers and the easiest time(s) to reach you.

Good luck!

So sad :-( I live around the OKC area, I'll keep my eyes out when I go to the flea market.

I am so sorry that happen to you. Hope you get it back. Post a picture in the local newspaper.

Sorry about your quilt. Why would anyone what to steal a quilt?

Blog Entries
    Home robberys are so bad. I am so sorry your quilt was stolen. I hope it is returned..Maybe th police will catch them and you will get it back.

You may want to distribute the information to any local thrift stores also. Unfortunately these things often end up there and they can keep an eye out for it. Often these people that rob homes just grab something to bundle up or cover the items they carry out and wouldn't have any interest in the quilt itself.
    It disguises them so the neighbors won't get suspicious. Sorry this happened to you. I have a quilt that has fabric in it from my deceased DIL and would be heart broken if something happened to it. It is ear marked for her daughter when she gets old enough to appreciate it. Ann in TN

I will be on the lookout, too. Hope you get it back. This is heartbreaking for you.

I copied your message and forwarded it to my daughter in Meeker, OK. Hope it comes back.

Blog Entries
    So sorry. Hugs

So sorry! Not only was your home violated but something so personal and precious was stolen. I hope it is returned some day. My Grandmother was the person that was there for me when I was a kid, I appreciate her more and more as I get older.

You might want to contact www.lostquilt.com. It can't hurt, and might help.

I hope you get it back.

Janet

That is terrible! Do you have any suspects? I hope you reported it to the police. I hope it will be returned or show up.

Grrrr. So sorry to hear that your home was violated.

Sorry about your loss!

i pray you will find your quilt such a crime as this shows how much people do not understand quilters

Blog Entries
    That is just so darn disgusting that someone would steal your quilt during a home invasion! I pray that it turns up.
    good suggestion to get a hold of the local tv station or newspaper for a human interest story..

I hope you get your quilt back.

I'll keep my eyes open here in Southeastern Oklahoma! Good luck with the search.

Blog Entries
    I wonder if someone was cold. why would they take a quilt like that. I know your hearet is broken and I pray you find it.

Blog Entries
    Craigslist--offer to buy old quilts and see what pops up. You don't have to buy them all, you know.

I am so sorry about your quilt. You should post this on the Lost Quilts web site then it may get more exposure.

Pat

I also can't understand why someone would steal a quilt unless it was to wrap up something they stole in it to protect it. Unless, of course, the quilt was exceptionally beautiful, but the OP didn't say that it was.

I'm so sorry to hear this. You should post a picture of it if you have one.

I'd be heartbroken also, I'll be praying for a safe and speedy return of your treasured quilt.
    I live in MO, but know some people in OK. I'll send them your description of the quilt. ((((HUGS))))

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast