Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storage boxes

I see that many of use the large flat pizza boxes for storing our UFO's. The computer tech at our school was unloading seveval new keyboards, and had a stack (yep - 10-12) of the boxes just on the floor. I thought that they were the perfect size....and they are! About 2 x 12 x 24. Man, am I gonna be organized now!!!!

Blog Entries
    What a great find!!! :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    :oops: :oops: OH my I just threw about 6 of those away a couple weeks ago :shock:

Never even thought they about storage

Way to go! I have to buy the plastic things for UFOs.

Power Poster
    Bonanza!

wow!!! I never thought of using those!!! anymore tips???!!!!

Great Tip :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I have used the pizza boxes, but I haven't used computer keyboard boxes. Great idea! Now if I could just find someone who would have several of them, I would be all set!

I used to use the pizza boxes for my students' projects. You can buy them in bulk at GFS. I don't remember how many come in a package, but I do know that they come in different sizes. ;)

I went into my local pizza place and asked for new unused ones. I got the 14" and they are just perfect for 12" blocks. He charged me a quarter a box all put together and ready to use. I love them.

Blog Entries
    That sounds like a great size to use. I wonder if the big computer stores would have any to give away.

I tried getting some of the pizza boxes but they wanted to charge me the price of a pizza! Needless to say I didn't buy any.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I tried getting some of the pizza boxes but they wanted to charge me the price of a pizza! Needless to say I didn't buy any.
    I would have told them they would not get a penny of my money for pizza either. Selling a clean box at cost is reasonable but to jack it up to the cost of a pizza is a manager I do not want any dealings with not even outside the store. Imagine someone is probably married to this jerky person.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I would have told them they would not get a penny of my money for pizza either. Selling a clean box at cost is reasonable but to jack it up to the cost of a pizza is a manager I do not want any dealings with not even outside the store. Imagine someone is probably married to this jerky person.
    Maybe he's pocketing the extra money himself!

Blog Entries
    You go girl! good find!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use the plastic scrap making ones from Joann's. They are 5.99 as opposed to higher in the quilt section. Work well. My friend came to the last retreat with hers in those keyboard boxes. So cool. I am going to try to get some pizza boxes this week. They know me in there so it might help. Small town, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    I have used the pizza boxes, but I haven't used computer keyboard boxes. Great idea! Now if I could just find someone who would have several of them, I would be all set!

I used to use the pizza boxes for my students' projects. You can buy them in bulk at GFS. I don't remember how many come in a package, but I do know that they come in different sizes. ;)
    You might contact the schools tech person. I know schools upgrade the computers frequently....

Blog Entries
    If you use cardboard boxes, remember that they are not good for long-term storage. The acid in wood products such as cardboard will damage fabrics over time. While the intent may be short-term storage, I have enough UFOs in my stash to know that some projects can get sidelined for years at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    If you use cardboard boxes, remember that they are not good for long-term storage. The acid in wood products such as cardboard will damage fabrics over time. While the intent may be short-term storage, I have enough UFOs in my stash to know that some projects can get sidelined for years at a time....
    Thanks for the reminder of this. I suppose that I could always a plastic bag to store for a bit for a little added protection.

What a great find for you. Good eye to catch those great storage boxes. And the price was right.

Blog Entries
    awesome idea, enjoy getting organized

You can also sometimes find the clear plastic envelopes like for scrapbooking at a 99cent or Dollar and More type store.

PJO

Thanks for the tip. I never would have thought of using them.

Please be very careful with the pizza boxes. I had a gf who ordered pizza one night and accidentally threw the wrong box out. All her quilt pcs. where in that box. I use my 40% coupon at Joann's when they have a sale and order from Connecting Threads with their sale on plastic totes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    could you line the cardboard with tissue paper or freezer paper or something?

I wonder if Uline has archival, acid free boxes...
    well, they have these:
    http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSear...3&RefineLink=Y

It's pretty easy to find brand new blank pizza boxes online, but you have to order like 100 of them at a time...

Blog Entries
    What size ar the keyboard boxes? I've used pizza boxes for several years now and no damage from them as of yet. Pizza boxes are ideal for storage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    could you line the cardboard with tissue paper or freezer paper or something?
    All wood products, including tissue paper and freezer paper, contain acid unless they have been treated to make them archival-quality (which basically removes all the acid). Archival-quality tissue paper is considerably more expensive than regular tissue paper. Freezer paper is not made in archival-quality.

Lining the boxes with fabric, such as inexpensive muslin, would probably be less expensive. Or they could probably be spray-coated with polyurethane.

I honesty don't think the acid is a problem if you are storing pieces for under a year. It's when the box gets forgotten for a few years (such as some of my UFOs!) that there is a potential issue with acid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast