Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Store brought vs homemade quilts >

Store brought vs homemade quilts

Store brought vs homemade quilts

Old 03-16-2021, 04:43 PM

I use a home made quilt for spring, summer and fall but it isn't warm enough for winter. We have a wool comforter which is quite toasty, and I did make the duvet cover for it!
Old 03-16-2021, 05:43 PM

Mcadwell, those early quilts are perfect for your bed. You have the satisfaction of knowing all the heart and soul that went into it. And as Donna13350 said, they are meant to be layered. You can cover it with newer quilts. Happy dreams under each one
Old 03-16-2021, 05:49 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
I'd say you're spot on. Depending on where you purchased your store bought quilt, it probably (I did say probably) has polyester batting because it's less expensive than other batting...poofier too so doesn't take as much to make it look fuller. And polyester isn't as warm as cotton.

I'm in western Wisconsin and have flannel sheets on my bed with an electric blanket, a store bought comforter (see note below), a fleece blanket, and 40 year old throw on top of that. I love the weight of all of them.

Note: I just started doing quilting last autumn so haven't made a quilt for my bed yet. I found the perfect pattern for my rennaisance-ish bedroom last month and just got the fabric last week. So it IS on my to-do list. I had to get more practice in before I make one for the bed. Sorry, I felt guilty for being on a quilting forum and not having a bed quilt of my own. (Hangs head in shame. lol)
I was born and raised in western Wisconsin. I've found the best way to keep warm is to move to Virginia -- which we did! But I still like to sleep under two quilts at night -- one store-bought (I was desperate at the time), and one that's my favorite blue/green/purple crumb quilt in a bear's paw pattern.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:54 PM

Crumb quilt? Bear's paw? (Sound of rapid typing on google too lookup terms the newbie never heard before.)

Crumb quilt. I wondered what those were called. They're a great way to use up the dribs and drabs of fabric we all tend to get. And the colors are fabulous on them.

Bear's paws. Um...I thought those were arrows. /sheepish grin
Old 03-16-2021, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
Crumb quilt? Bear's paw? (Sound of rapid typing on google too lookup terms the newbie never heard before.)
Oooh this could be fun! Try:

Rob Peter To Pay Paul
Toad in the Puddle
Puss In The Corner
Lady Of The Lake
Pine Burr
Contrary Wife
Broken Dishes
Shoo Fly
Carpenter's Wheel
Tippecanoe
Cock's Comb
Delectable Mountains
Dove At The Window

And as I look at this list, a story starts forming... 🤣 "Contrary Wife, while looking out the window at the Delectable Mountains, was startled by a Dove At The Window. She hollered "Shoo Fly!" but Puss In The Corner jumped toward the window, landed on Tippecanoe and the Broken Dishes came crashing down. Contrary Wife cried "Now I will have to Rob Peter To Pay Paul so I can buy more dishes!" 🤣

Oh my, I think it's time for me to go to bed. 🤣
Old 03-17-2021, 03:39 AM

Are these real quilting things...?
Apparently I have quilting homework to do.

Gee, thanks. LOL

(Sound of more rapid typing on google...)
Old 03-20-2021, 04:27 AM

Default Funny: review compares quilt with yeti blanket

https://youtu.be/yOtZx1dqcgY
I'll let you guess who won....
Old 03-20-2021, 11:10 AM

Diaper mat, boat tarp.... Very funny video! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:13 PM

My warmest quilt is one I bought at a Fire Department fund raise auction. It is jeans with pockets on one side and flannel on the other. My grands call it their "sick" quilt now. When they are here because they are not well they snuggle under it and rest. When they begin to feel better, they fill the pockets with crayons and markers and color and draw. As a matter of fact I got my 2nd Covid shot yesterday. I am fine but have been tired all day so I am snuggled under this quilt right now.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:26 PM

Hope you feel better soon.

And congrats on getting your second shot.