Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Store/organizing fabric treasures >

Store/organizing fabric treasures

Store/organizing fabric treasures

Old 01-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

Mine are sorted by color. I have one tote for fabrics that I bought specifically to be used together. They are tied together by ribbon and just waiting for the right pattern.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Google Goddess

Hi, I don't have many fabrics. But what I have I left some on the bolts cardboard from the store and have them stacked that way. I also put a sticky note on the end of each bolt and put the date purchased, how many yards and price. So when I use some of the fabric I can subtract it and mark on the tag so I always know at a glance how much I have left on that bolt. The fat quarters on a shelf in the closet and a few of them in a cute basket in the extra bedroom.

Karen
Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Here is something that I found and have tried: http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
Old 01-30-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by joeyoz
I have mine by color. They are stacked in a bookcase where I can easily see them.

Someone suggested, if you bought fabric for a specific pattern, to bundle them together with a ribbon and the pattern so they stay together and you don't grab a fabric intended for something specific.
bundling is a great idea.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 AM

I have most of my fabrics sorted by color, however things like Christmas fabrics or flower fabrics, or the vegetable fabrics, etc are piled together. Also if I have very special, or expensive fabric, or hand dyed fabric, in special piles. Stripes are also in their own pile. I have them all in cabinets with doors so I can keep them free of dust, and light.

I try to do all scraps by color in one big box and all those scraps of a certain color in small bags so I can find a bit of color fast and not have to cut up a big piece if I only need a bit. When I get enough scraps, I make string quilts!

All fabric for specific projects is bundled with the pattern!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM

I have my fabric stored in metal bins. My husband bought them for me for Xmas a couple years ago from Lowes. He installed them in the closet of my sewing room. There are 3 deeps ones and 1 shallower one. I have my fabric sorted by color. Two stacks will fit in each bin. They are made out of woven metal. You can see the fabris at a glance. And they slide out to remove/add fabric. Or they can be pulled all the way out. They are sturdy enough I also have fabric stacked on top of each section. As well as on the top. Since they are in the closet they don't get any sun/dust. I have tried stacking on shelves, plastic containers. This works the best for me. Wouldn't trade them for anything. Pieces
Old 01-30-2010, 06:28 PM

This is a great site to visit
Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM

i sort mine by color in a stack with the solids on the top of the pile and cordinating prints under the solids i have 3 shelving racks across my wall they sit on so i can just look at the racks and see what i have to work with
Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM

I have 8 cabinets with three shelves each on the wall over my sewing table and computer/printer. The cabinets contain most of my fabric, sorted by the color wheel. I also measure all my fabric, pinning a note on each one listing the yardage. Some of the shelves are bursting with fabric (reds, blues and purples), however, I'm able to put patterns, steam-a-seam packages and embroidery memory cards on other shelves (green is not my favorite color, so I've a lot of room in that cabinet!). Fat quarters are stored in see-through totes and bolts of fabric are under my cutting table (which my husband made to my height - no back aches here when cutting fabric!). Any fabric that I feel is too small to work with, I donate to a Bee in my Guild that uses small pieces of fabric and batting to fill pillows for dogs in the animal shelter. I love quilting in my quilting/computer/sewing
room! :D :-D :thumbup:
Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Take a look at MistyMaries fabric stash photos.

Do a search for "too much fabric" (without quotation marks) and go to page 2 for her post.