Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Storing the Cutting Rulers

Alikat, what is IKEA Antonius system???

I have a wooden rack with slots smade for rulers. I have it next to a bookcase, on the floor. It's close enough to my sewing machine that if I need one while I'm sewing I don't have to get up.

I didn't like the ring - now use it for embroidery hoops

I have an old fashioned low dresser that I keep under my cutting table and all my rulers are in the top drawer.
    It has several drawers to store all kinds of things and its very handy

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by janell2009
    Love the peg board idea... I just put some nails in the wall over where I use them and hang my rulers on the nails... hehehhe
    I hate peg boards ... the pegs always come out! :)

For now my rulers are in an upright letter holder next to my cutting table.
    I've been considering nails in the wall ... though hate the clutter look, so for now have kept them in the letter holder.
    This is where I keep mine too. Works well for me as I have a very large cutting area. I put two dressers (bought at Fleet & Farm) standing back to back with an opening of about 4 feet between. My husband made me a plywood top (painted with 3 coats of paint) which spans the whole area. It is great and I keep everything on top in site. For me this is important as I go back and forth to two houses and quite often forget where I put things. Very frustrating lack of memory. So this letter holder idea works great for me. However at this time, I only have 7 rulers. Yolanda Wood River

My hubby put a pipe along the ceiling across in the back of my cutting table and I hang up all my rulers.I also use a shoe organizer with lots of pockets and put all my scissors and rotary cutter in. So everything is out of the way.

Right now the rulers, cutting mat and rotary cutters are all on a bookshelf (36" wide). My sweet, sweet Hubby is framing a 4' x 4' peg board for me. I will hang it over my folding cutting table.

If I want a project done around the house, I just start it and "Mr. Man" will finish it.
    All I had to do was take him to Home Depot and ask his opinion! He does the rest!

I use large S hooks and hang them in the closet. The rulers without holes I attach a bullnose clip then hang them on a rod also. Doesn't take much room and easy to see and get to them.

Blog Entries
    My son made me two of those wooden holders (piece of wood with slots across it, corners rounded, stained). You see them in the supply magazines. I love them.

I have one of those magazine rack things. It has three sections so all my rulers, plus a notebook, and a pad of graph paper all fit in it easily. It sits on a side table next to my cutting table. Works well for me.

hanging up on board

I cleaned up my quilt room recently and decided I didn't like the rulers on their sides method... takes up too much room! My solution turned out to be a sturdy cardboard box about 16" square and 2' tall and I put my vellum tablets, long rulers, shorter extra quilt hanging rods, quilt-line templates, etc., etc. in there. Even though it's pretty full, I can see what I want w/o digging.

My specialty rulers, along with small templates I've made are in my old dresser (so many of us have one!), my cutting boards are underneath the dresser along with huge chart papers (my sons engineering firm went for electronic only and I got a pack of their old paper!).

I use 2 of the ruler racks that are about 18" long. They are on top of one of my lower bookcases where they are easy to get to and see. I forget how much I paid for them. I think about $20 each, but they solved my storage problem.

I went cheap, cheap, cheap...used nails in the wall!

i use the tie ring suzieQ

I bought a $4.00 heavy metal decorative napkin holder for my rulers. I put them against the very end of my cutting table sideways-works great!

Forgot to add, got napkin holder at Marshall's.

Blog Entries
    The ones I use all the time are hanging on hooks in closet, all the others are in the bottom drawer of a 3 drawer cart by my sewing table.

i use under my bed storage in a plastic sweater box

slotted board on the large cutting table. I just moved from the dining room to the 'guest' room. Set up cutting table, dresser for fabrics, tables for my machines, bookcase for panels and fabrics I have sorted for future quilts-I now have a place for everything and I don't have DH raising an eyebrow over the mess

Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews
    I purchased two ruler racks, they are about 24 inches long, have slots in them to hold the rulers. They are side by side on my wall.
    Michelle
    I had the woodshop teacher make these for me. I have two for my long rulers, (each holds 6 rulers) then had him take a long piece and cut the slots side to side instead the length. That holds all my smaller and speciality rulers

Hi baby,
    I had that same issue, and one day I looked at this plate rack I had that I was not using and a lite went on in my head!!!
    It is a 4 plate rack that sets 4 across... my rulers fit perfect!!
    and it is a brass finish that sorta dresses it !!
    Love it and have hada few copy it when they seeit!!
    ;-)

Would you post a picture of your cutting table set-up, please?

Quote Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
    I use the medal ring for hanging my rulers I don't often use. Then I have a slotted board on my cutting table for the rulers I use most often.

I bought one of theose circle hangers. Then I realized you have to take other rulers off to get to the one you want. I hated that. So I found some rings (they close like rings in a binder) put them thru the holes and hung them on the hanger. Now all I have to do is open that ring and I have my ruler. Very compact.

Quote Originally Posted by janell2009
    Love the peg board idea... I just put some nails in the wall over where I use them and hang my rulers on the nails... hehehhe
    Me, too. I just pound in these little slanted hangers which allows for expansion every time I find a new ruler I just have to have. If I ever get around to painting, I can just pull them out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast