Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing the Cutting Rulers >

Storing the Cutting Rulers

Storing the Cutting Rulers

Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 AM

I found an old LPA rack that is just perfect. (LPA- for you youngsters is a Long Playing Album. ie; a rack to hold records.) Sets on the lowboy dresser that holds my fabric.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
For now my rulers are in an upright letter holder next to my cutting table.
Mine are in a letter holder too, on top of the cubby next to the phone.

piney

Fat Quarter storage and rulers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265851[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265798.jpe  
Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I keep my larger rulers, especially the 12.5 inch ruler in an upright letter/folder on a shelf just over my sewing machine table. Before we moved to an apt. I had a pegboard that I had purchased from a sewing notion catalog, don't remember which one, but the hooks adjusted well and the rulers stayed in place. For the 6 x 12" and smaller rulers, I use a ceramic napkin holder, as it's sturdy, the rules store well and are within easy reach when I need them. Of course I need to remember to put them back, but since I have a much smaller sewing space than I had before, I have to straighten up at night, or I can't go to bed. Hope this helps, but it's what has worked for me, for the least amount of money.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 AM

I went to IKEA and got a kitchen organizer rod that you can hang rulers on the s hooks, and I have a little bucket on it to hold my cutters. It is mounted underneath a shelf I store other stuff on. It works better than the peg board I used to use. Here is the link to the website for these things: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...kitchen/20676/
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM

I have the white closet maid shelf in my sewing room closet. I bought a belt hanger and I hang them from that.

I love the peg board idea... hmmmm long weekend coming up and DH just got a new saw....
Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM

I also stand my rulers in a letter holder because I don't have the wall space.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by janell2009
Love the peg board idea... I just put some nails in the wall over where I use them and hang my rulers on the nails... hehehhe
I hate peg boards ... the pegs always come out! :)

For now my rulers are in an upright letter holder next to my cutting table.
I've been considering nails in the wall ... though hate the clutter look, so for now have kept them in the letter holder.
I also use a letter, or file upright holder. Got it at an office supply store on sale. I have it on top of a book case close to my cutting table. Sections are wide enough for other shape rulers too, etc. 60 degree, 45 degree, hexigons, etc. Works well for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 PM

My DH took a 3"x24" piece of oak and ran his saw from end to end to make several slots. The board is only 3/4" thick, so the slots are not very deep but the rulers stand up very well in them. Each board holds long and short rulers, and they are always at my fingertips at the end of my cutting table.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:30 PM

I sew upstairs and most of the walls are 'slanted'.. You who have them know exactly what I mean. I makes for very
little space to hang things. I have a basket..friends sent
a few years ago full of'treats. It is very sturdy with a wood bottom. They all stand in that. Thought it might try
to tip over, but never had a problem. I keep some that I
seldom use in a couple of drawers in an antique spool cabinet. My husband has cut pieces of plastic board in a lot of various different sizes. Keep most of them in a drawer also. By the way, they are wonderful to 'trim to
size' your blocks as you can see exactly how you want to
position it, beng able to see clearly through it. Wow
there's a name for that 'plastic board' but my mind won't pull it to my memory. Hope you know what I am talking
about.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:32 PM

I purchased a metal hanging loop for belts from Bed Bath and Beyond that hangs in my closet. I had a hard time finding that and now JoAnn Fabric is carrying them. You can add quite a few of them. All my rulers have a hole in them so they slip into the ring easily. I hope you understand what this is. If not, I'll try to post it more clearly.