Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Storing Each Project Solution

Storing Each Project Solution

I'm the kind of person that likes to have a lot of things going on at once, so I'm always working on several quilting projects at a time. I don't have a lot of storage right now because we are in the middle of building our house and my work space isn't completed yet. I've been stuffing my projects into plastic baggies and putting them into boxes and bins...augh! What a mess! I can't find anything!!!

I came up with a nice solution. I now take some of the extra fabric that I'm using for that particular project (or I just use fabric that doesn't have a project yet,) and I make a simple bag from it. (Think small pillow case.) It takes me about 2 minutes to make a bag. I slip the project pieces in there to keep it clean and easily identifiable. It's soft and tactile too...for me, much better than a plastic bag. I'm thinking of adding drawstrings to the bags, so that I can hang them up on the 2x4s to get them out of the way and to decorate my space. When I'm done with the project it's easy to take apart the bags and use them for other quilting projects. Waste not, want not, as they say.

~ Cindy

That's a great idea! I've been using clear plastic shoe boxes with locking lids because they are stackable, but I've started hanging larger projects in my closet. I'd love some little bags.

Blog Entries
    nicel idea... thanks for sharing
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

When I first started quilting I went to the pizza shop and asked for unused pizza boxes. They gave me some and I stored my projects in them. I put a label on the front of each one so I would know what was inside. They stack great.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

I use the Art Bin boxes - they are acid free. I label the front also - each boxes contains the fabric, specialty rulers purchased for that project and the instructions. Then I can pull any box and know I don't have to search for any part of the project. You have a nice idea for using fabric bags to contain your projects.

Sorry...I should have put this under the Mission: Organization forum. I thought of it just as I hit the "Post Thread" button.

Good idea. I have some of those boxes from scrapbooking that work for my blocks in progress if they get put away.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    This is a great idea. I do something similar by adding a flap. I also use a scrap of fabric and write the pattern on it and baste it to the front of the flap then tie it closed with ribbon. I also include a copy of the pattern. The basted info on the bag is easily removed so the bag can be reused.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I cover cardboard boxes with lids with a white marble design Contact paper. I put all the materials for a quilt in a box that I label with the name of the pattern. When I make the quilt, I put on a new label and new supplies. Since the materials do not stay in the boxes too long, so far, they have been OK. I have pizza size boxes also covered with Contact paper that I use for storing my BOMs. The covered boxes make my sewing room look neater.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful tip.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Cute idea. I use small plastic shoe boxes or larger depending on the project. I label the outside with what is inside:

Applique fabric, Reds, Greens, Frog Quilt, Paper Doll Quilt, Christmas Quilt, etc.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Well atleast you know what fabric is in the bag. Good idea. I use the large Ziploc with the label and put a copy of the pattern in it.

If you happen to have closet space, consider using a shoe or sweater organizer with shelves, the kind that hangs from the clothes rod. It is neat and you can see what's on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    This is a great idea. I do something similar by adding a flap. I also use a scrap of fabric and write the pattern on it and baste it to the front of the flap then tie it closed with ribbon. I also include a copy of the pattern. The basted info on the bag is easily removed so the bag can be reused.
    peace
    Oh...that sounds so pretty. I like the flap and ribbon idea. You could also probably do something like that as a gift for someone that has an IPad, or tablet. It would make a lovely, protective cover.
    ~ Cindy

I love the fabric bag idea, but I know myself.. I do good to get the project into a ziplock bag. I carry my PIGs full of ZIGs (? ziplocks in grocery sacks) every where we travel , car trips, plane rides even in the back of a covered wagon once ( for a civil war reenactment)

You do what works for you.... and I'd never get it that much together... i'd love to see pics!

For the larger projects, I purchase the wicker picnic baskets with the handles on. (like a suitcase). I attach the labels
    to the handles. They stack nicely, even on the floor. I usually set them up on top of the bookcases. I usually buy the cases for $3 at thrift stores or garage sales. Then I wash them in soapy water and rinse good by spraying them. Then I set them out in the sun and let them air dry. I probably have 15 now. I like using other baskets in my sewing room too. They hold everything.