Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing Fabric >

Storing Fabric

Storing Fabric

Old 01-13-2011, 02:41 AM

I am new to quilting and I am starting to collect fabric. I saw on Quilting Board that someone used Coroplast and the pictures of her extra fabric storage looked very nice. I like the way she stored her fabric like you would see in our LQS. Does anyone else have a suggestion on how to store fabric?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by lighthouse
I am new to quilting and I am starting to collect fabric. I saw on Quilting Board that someone used Coroplast and the pictures of her extra fabric storage looked very nice. I like the way she stored her fabric like you would see in our LQS. Does anyone else have a suggestion on how to store fabric?
Hi Lighthouse!
Here is where I store my fabric. I used vegetable bins from Walmart and sorted my scraps.

Mysi's closet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159325[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159320.jpe  
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 AM

Thank you for your idea Mysi. I like how you used the vegetable bins to store your scraps :-)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 AM

I am running into the same problem. I plan on going to Walmart to see want kinds of clear bins the have. I like the smaller bins so that I can easily carry them. I also love the art bins which are a bit pricey so waiting for the next sale.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 AM

Mine is by no means perfect, but I use shelving for a small portion of mine. I rolled mine like a remnant and stood up in 40--50 gallon clear totes. It got messed up too easily. I found that if I put the tote on it's side and then either stacked the rolls, or folded the fabric similar sizes and stacked them, I could get a look at what I have a little easier. I also sort by size of pieces. I also sort my scrapps by "strips", "chunks" and "odd shapes" and have them in shoe boxes with the contents marked on the side. They stack nicely. Hope this helps at least a little.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 AM

oh you silly ladies, don't you know piles of fabric only stay neat when you are not sewing! How about it, anybody else like me. I start out all neat and foldered and by the end of working on a few projects, well need i say more is maybe you would like to see a picture!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 AM

I redid my room last month, wrapping my fabric like the LQS. The thing to remember when you store your fabric out in the open is to keep it out of the sun. If your room has a window do not store the fabric right across, where the sun hits it. It will get fade marks. I put all my fabric on the same side as the window so the rays do not hit it.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHiker
I redid my room last month, wrapping my fabric like the LQS. The thing to remember when you store your fabric out in the open is to keep it out of the sun. If your room has a window do not store the fabric right across, where the sun hits it. It will get fade marks. I put all my fabric on the same side as the window so the rays do not hit it.
Thank you for this suggestion. I do have 4 windows in this room and I did not think about the harmful sun's rays. I also agree with Early Lace's comment :lol:
Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 AM

ahhh the age old question...lol...and if you do a search you will be reading for hours. I have rearranged & rearranged my ways of storing fabric so many times to make it work for me. Yes walking into a fabric shop it all looks so pretty, neat & organized. I could go on for ever on advise but for what its worth, probably not much..lol.
A few things that I always keep in mind...
1]sun
2]dust {pets-enough said}
3] ease of finding what I am looking for-this one is just as important as protecting your fabric, if I have to waste to much time hunting down what I want not only have I wasted alot of time I also lose interest.
Just my .02 cents worth...have fun
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM

my fabric is stored on shelves, dust is my main concern, but I decided to go to Walmart and get the clear plastic sewing machine covers, they're only a couple of dollars and I can still see my fabric, easy on easy off, regretfully my walmart is out right now, I store my scraps by color group in the zippered bags that curtains and sheets come in. I have them hanging from cup hooks under the last shelf (they already come with a little hanger attached)